Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Traitor vs MK1 Versys  (Read 558 times)

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Traitor vs MK1 Versys
« on: Mar 12, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Not the best of weather (cold, damp and windy) for a trip out on a new bike with new tyres but got the MOT next week so wanted to do a few miles in case any obvious problems wanted to make themselves apparent. The bike in question is my 2016 XSR700 which I have had since end of November but it has remained on a SORN until now. The main difference is the weight, the XSR700 feels much lighter and as such powers out of slow corners at a very rapid pace, simply brilliant for a 700 twin and feels quick compared to the MK1 V. The XSR700 feels more like a big single and throbs more than vibrates/tingles, great if you like singles (I do) but if you are in the wrong gear it does stutter a bit like a single, which can be annoying. The XSR has a more linear power delivery, I remember the V having a bit of a "powerband" effect at about 7000 revs which I loved and it felt great and means the V is about the same performance wise at higher speeds, once into the power at about 70 mph up over. It's early days but the suspension on the XSR (conventional with no adjustment) is a bit kinder over the rough stuff, probably due to the lack of weight (no fairing) so it doesn't seem to crash about as much. The V is certainly a better  mile muncher, any motorway trips or cruising and it's no contest but on the slower twisty bits it's the XSR all the way, the lack of weight and extra HP are noticeable and it's more entertaining. Bear in mind I have had a much slower/heavier Kawa W800 in between the V and XSR so I might be forgetting some of the V's performance and I know the new V has more power and less vibes so the gap is now probably closer than I imagine. If Kawasaki did a proper naked version of the V with a few more updates, keeping the build quality, then it would be a very close contest.
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Traitor vs MK1 Versys
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:11 AM »
They sort of do - the Z650 has the same engine as the Versys, but benefits from the new gen chasis (much lower weight).  Unfortunately (for me at least), it has a low seat and results in a cramped seating position.

I have no doubt the XSR suspension works better.  I have no idea what the Kawasaki engineer that tuned the Versys suspension was thinking.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
They sort of do - the Z650 has the same engine as the Versys, but benefits from the new gen chasis (much lower weight).  Unfortunately (for me at least), it has a low seat and results in a cramped seating position.

I have no doubt the XSR suspension works better.  I have no idea what the Kawasaki engineer that tuned the Versys suspension was thinking.

Gustavo
    I also have no doubt that a 016 XSR700 has better suspension than a MK1 650 Versys, after all some of the MK1s are over 10 years old.

I also have no doubt the MK3 Versys suspension is a lot better than the XSR 700.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Gustavo, the Z650 was completely off my radar as I thought Kawasaki Z's of that size were all 4 cylinders so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I suppose it is really aimed at being a rival to the MT-07 rather than the XSR as the XSR is a bit of an oddball in a number of ways (they look better in the flesh). I would say that I think the Kawasaki's are probably a bit better built, slightly more attention to detail, but the XSR/MT seem to get slightly better reviews due to the engine performance. I really liked the MK1 V and should not have sold it really so was not trying to slag it off ( :192:) just thought I would highlight some differences between the rival bikes, both are great at what they do, I just hope my XSR proves to be as reliable as the mighty MK1 V 650.
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Online Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: Xsr700
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:25 PM »
When my versys was in for a service cradley sent me out on a z650 and it was a fantastic piece of kit really put a smile on my face only downside just too physically small, with the exception of the versys series the bulk of kawasakis seem to only fit people under 6' or 1.8m.
I'm going out on my bike.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]
When my versys was in for a service cradley sent me out on a z650 and it was a fantastic piece of kit really put a smile on my face only downside just too physically small, with the exception of the versys series the bulk of kawasakis seem to only fit people under 6' or 1.8m.
  So true.  Have a mate who bought a Ninja 650, he loved the bike but it was so tiny. He part ex ed it after about 5 months. He now owns the twin  ( same colour) of my MK3 Versys. And he is just loving it.  :152:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I found that as well.
I really liked the Z1000SX but it was just too small for me.

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Flying V2, some splinter group..... you were supposed to finish your post by saying the XSR was vastly superior to the Z650 in every way   :138:   :107:

Online Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: Xsr700
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:26 PM »
06.25 pm my mrs plonked my tea in my lap so I hit post button and stuffed my face. Was just about to add of course the xsr700 is vastly superior in everyway.
But and let's be honest hear in 1989?  My friend appeared on a GPZ 500s Kawasaki twin so hats off to this OLD Kawasaki it's still a good in!
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 09:27 PM by Flying v2 »
I'm going out on my bike.