Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Waterproofing 12v DC Outlet When In Use  (Read 599 times)

Offline oneloosenut

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Bedfordshire
Waterproofing 12v DC Outlet When In Use
« on: Mar 16, 2019, 10:27 PM »
I have a factory fitted 12v DC Outlet on the Versys 650. Into this I use a USB charger to run a lead to a phone. The DC Outlet has a waterproof cover for when it is not in use - but I assume if the charger is in place and in use, this may be susceptible to the weather.

Have any of you got any methods of creating a waterproofing for this set up - or am I better of removing when weather gets bad?
OLN
Oneloosnut

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Waterproofing 12v DC Outlet When In Use
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:11 AM »

I have used an O ring at the base of the male plug.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 03:03 AM »
As mine is located on the dash; when in motion it's not an issue, the only time it may cause a problem is a prolonged stationary wait in heavy rain, but in the 8 years I've had it it's never been an issue, I did have a rubber O ring around the satnav power plug at one point, but I lost it and have never needed to replace it.

Offline oneloosenut

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Thank you Rictus and uralbob for the advice.  :028:
OLN
Oneloosnut

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:08 PM »
The plug should come with an O-ring at the end, or a rubber sealing washer at the top of the socket, if it's a worry then wipe a smear of silicone grease around the plug before inserting it.

DIN Powerlet plugs/ sockets are usually better made and sealed than the old car cigar lighter types, should be IP54 rated, but many don't state it and some even have the disclaimer "not for use when it is raining"  :028:
Just passin' through

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Stick the Plug under the fairings or side panels , wrap up nice and warm then just grease up the end of the fly lead.
Worked for me for the past 12 years on 2 bikes, and given most stuff is micro Usb these days or a chinkyboo adapter is pence.....
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline oneloosenut

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2019, 04:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Stick the Plug under the fairings or side panels , wrap up nice and warm then just grease up the end of the fly lead.
Worked for me for the past 12 years on 2 bikes, and given most stuff is micro Usb these days or a chinkyboo adapter is pence.....

Thanks Clunkyboy. If it wasn't for being a factory fitted DC socket I think under the fairing would have been the way forward. Especially as leaving the cable/charger in the socket when parked makes it an easy item to lose.

OLN
OLN
Oneloosnut