Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Change a chain.  (Read 755 times)

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Change a chain.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2019, 11:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
In my opinion , the EK chain which as Wal suggests is oe fitment from the factory are better than others mentioned, but for some reason seem difficult to buy in the UK. Or should I say WAS, because my MK3 came fitted with a D.I.D. I have also had good results with alloy anodised rear sprockets on the Versys 1000, but always fit oe front sprockets.  :002:

I thought the EK oem chain was very good, 28k and 24k out of 2 I used on versys,, . with half decent care, I had to buy it from Kawasaki dealer because, as you say its hard to buy elsewhere,  wasn't cheap from dealer, about 140 iirc

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2019, 12:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]

I thought the EK oem chain was very good, 28k and 24k out of 2 I used on versys,, . with half decent care, I had to buy it from Kawasaki dealer because, as you say its hard to buy elsewhere,  wasn't cheap from dealer, about 140 iirc
   My riding buddy Peter ( Trotters ) over on the Versys 1000 forum did 58,000 on the original EK  chain, and it was still good when he sold the bike.  :020:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline mstellin

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versus 650
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2019, 06:02 AM »
 The key is not to over tighten the chain, I run mine as loose as possible, as long as it doesn't slap or ratchhet you should run it loose, once it is too tight it just keeps on stretching. 
Lift for a second and that's where you finish

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by mstellin [+]
The key is not to over tighten the chain, I run mine as loose as possible, as long as it doesn't slap or ratchhet you should run it loose, once it is too tight it just keeps on stretching. 

I like to run chains loose as well, you do get a bit of slap and sag but it feels better to me  than when adjusted spot on for some reason and never seem to need adjusting
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2