Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Underseat Connector, where is the relay?  (Read 616 times)

Offline TYP

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: '18 Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Swansea
Underseat Connector, where is the relay?
« on: Apr 11, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Short version: does someone post a picture of the underseat accessory connector for the Versys Mk3?

Long version: I've got a 2018 Versys GT. When I received it the heated grips (oxford) were wired direct into the battery instead of to a switched relay. I just left it as I'd already had a mare getting the bike and the dealer wiring had been a bit haphazard (Datatool alarm wiring routed outside the bodywork.....). Anyway, I thought I'd just sort it out at some later time.

So under the seat I found a single bullet connector that seemed to give 10v when the ignition was on, this is connected to a loom and what appears to be a relay (can't get to it at the moment), however, to complicated things the dealer also installed an alarm and separate tracker (neither of which I know where the wiring is). so there is a lot of taped up wiring under the seat. I connected a relay to this 10v bullet connector but it doesn't seem to be switching which could be that I've blown the fuse somehow, but either way, does anyone have a photo of the wiring under their seat, or the accessory connector that I see mentioned a lot, but can't seem to find.

This is what I'm working with right now. The bullet connector is in the middle of the screen connected to the red wire. Just below that is what I'm assuming is the accessory relay?

Offline TYP

• Versys Pro
Re: Underseat Connector, where is the relay?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Here's a clearer photo without my Frankenstein work in the way.

Also, my relay is definitely working off the bike. The bullet connector under the seat is giving out 9v, but doesn't switch the relay.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2019, 01:53 PM by TYP »

Offline Liamf

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Worthing
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I may be completely wrong but I think that bullet connector is for diagnostics and the block below is the tip over sensor.  The accessory plugs are underneath the screen and on the left hand side of the bike.

Offline barold99

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: liverpool
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2019, 06:16 PM »
You need an accessory relay that fits behind the clocks. There's a taped up connector there and a peg that it fits to. Plug relay into the connectors and the accessory sockets are then powered
If I remember correctly it's screen off and remove the black plastic fairing shroud

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Liamf [+]
I may be completely wrong but I think that bullet connector is for diagnostics and the block below is the tip over sensor.  The accessory plugs are underneath the screen and on the left hand side of the bike.
  Correct :028: :028:

Do not try and use it or you FUBAR the ECU  :138:

*Originally Posted by barold99 [+]
You need an accessory relay that fits behind the clocks. There's a taped up connector there and a peg that it fits to. Plug relay into the connectors and the accessory sockets are then powered
If I remember correctly it's screen off and remove the black plastic fairing shroud

Correct

See this resource / wiring diagram in the correct document HERE  :028: :028:

Richard  :001:
Richard    :001:           

Offline TYP

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been working nights.

So other than the accessory relay under the front, there's no other accessory connections as standard (on the GT)?

Thanks for the replies again, Towerman, barold, and liam.

And the good news is that I've managed NOT to blow up the ECU (which is a first for me :-) )

Offline Liamf

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Good news with the ECU!  I donít think there are any others, just under the front and on the left hand side just beneath the tank.

Offline TYP

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Okey donkey, finally have time to get this relay business sorted.

Gained access, I can see the relay and the 12v power port is connected to it. What I can't seem to see is the connector under the tank that I could use rather than routing wires from the back to the front of the bike. @liamf, when you say the connector is on the left, is that as you look at the bike from the front, or from the back?

Cheers

Offline Liamf

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Itís on the left hand side with you sitting on the bike, I would have confused you by talking about the tank, Iíve just had a quick look and with the fairing  still on the bike, itís actually almost directly behind the indicator wrapped up in tape on the loom.  Take the fairing off and itís almost in line with where the indicator was.  I tried to upload a photo and failed.  Happy to send you a pic if you pm me your email address.  Edit, also just had a look in the handbook, and there shown on pages 76 and 77.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2019, 07:17 PM by Liamf »

Offline TYP

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Cheers Liamf, I guess that I was expecting an accessory connector for use with aftermarket accessories. I didn't find the left hand connector but assume that the fog lights on the GT are connected to it, so I ran a wire from the front connector to a relay under the seat.

The logic for that is that I keep my accessory loops separate from OEM/dealer wiring in case of blowing the bike up.

So I now have my bike DVR (front and rear recording) and the heated grips on second relay that's triggered by the OEM relay. Here's a pic of my impeccable wiring that doesn't look like a fire hazard at all  :015: (I'll be tidying it up before putting everything back together, but the main thing is that it works and no magic smoke escaped).

Thanks again for the input everyone :-)