Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: One for the electronics gurus  (Read 565 times)

Offline notsocoolguy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: MK1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Gillingham, Kent
One for the electronics gurus
« on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Hi there!

There's a couple of little mods I do to every bike I own and I'm having a bit of trouble with the Versys.

I rewire the battery cables, this consists of:

Battery + - Starter Relay
Starter Relay - Stator Motor
Battery - - Engine Ground

I also rewire the charging system, replace the regulator rectifier to a series reg rec and wire the outputs of this directly to the battery terminals via a fuse.

I do this to increase the performance of these components. I use thicker gauge cable which tends to offer less voltage drop and makes the system a bit more reliable!

The issue I'm having with the Versys...

The headlight relay is triggered from one of the phases from the stator. I've disconnected the stator plug to feed directly to my new Reg Rec, but when I connect a 12v supply to the existing stator wiring, the starter relay trips and the starter motor spins.

Examining the wiring diagram, this makes sense, however obviously this isn't the case with the stock wiring.

So my question... What have I missed?! I've traced and traced wiring in the diagram and can't out my finger on where I've gone wrong. Have I got a failed relay box? I've tested this on a bench and it passes as per the manual.

Any thoughts on the issue anyway? For now I've run some headlight wiring direct to an Aux fuse box I've fitted under the seat so the bike is rideable, but I would like to utilise the headlight relay circuit if possible!

Thanks so much in advance!

-Rory

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
Re: One for the electronics gurus
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Sorry I don't speak your language.  :008: :008: :008:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Inverterman is a electrical guru but not on here all the time
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2019, 12:39 PM »
 Where is Richard when you need him :question:  :027:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2019, 12:21 PM »

Taking pie to the final decimal point.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2019, 02:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by notsocoolguy [+]
Hi there!

There's a couple of little mods I do to every bike I own and I'm having a bit of trouble with the Versys.

I rewire the battery cables, this consists of:

Battery + - Starter Relay
Starter Relay - Stator Motor
Battery - - Engine Ground

I also rewire the charging system, replace the regulator rectifier to a series reg rec and wire the outputs of this directly to the battery terminals via a fuse.

I do this to increase the performance of these components. I use thicker gauge cable which tends to offer less voltage drop and makes the system a bit more reliable!

The issue I'm having with the Versys...

The headlight relay is triggered from one of the phases from the stator. I've disconnected the stator plug to feed directly to my new Reg Rec, but when I connect a 12v supply to the existing stator wiring, the starter relay trips and the starter motor spins.

Examining the wiring diagram, this makes sense, however obviously this isn't the case with the stock wiring.

So my question... What have I missed?! I've traced and traced wiring in the diagram and can't out my finger on where I've gone wrong. Have I got a failed relay box? I've tested this on a bench and it passes as per the manual.

Any thoughts on the issue anyway? For now I've run some headlight wiring direct to an Aux fuse box I've fitted under the seat so the bike is rideable, but I would like to utilise the headlight relay circuit if possible!

Thanks so much in advance!

-Rory
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Where is Richard when you need him :question:  :027:
notsocoolguy

If you have been bypassing the starter relay have you taken note of the blocking diodes that are in there as well  :notsure:

Also are you taking the relay feed from the correct stator phase  :028:

Richard  :001:

Richard    :001: 

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Just noticed that you say you are using a new Reg Rec.

The one used on the Versys is a Shunt type Reg Rec. :028:
If you have updated it to a Series Reg Rec, there is a feedback loop created by this one, but as I have not converted mine I'm unsure of the solution  :notsure:

Do a search for "Series Regulator" posted by Inverterman or go to the USA dominated V.com site where he is a Mod

Richard    :001: 

Offline notsocoolguy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: MK1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Gillingham, Kent
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still using the stock starter relay. I've replaced the battery cables to and from the relay, but are still using the same 4 pin multi connector which feeds the trigger for that.

Stator wiring, I've tried all three and two of them do nothing, the third turns the starter motor over... Which to the best if my knowledge in tracing the circuits in the wiring diagram makes sense.

The starter motor relay coil is wired from the phase of the stator. I can't seem to get my head around what prevents the starter motor spinning constantly while the bike is running and the stator is putting out current.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2019, 04:05 PM »
 :37:
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Just noticed that you say you are using a new Reg Rec.

The one used on the Versys is a Shunt type Reg Rec. :028:
If you have updated it to a Series Reg Rec, there is a feedback loop created by this one, but as I have not converted mine I'm unsure of the solution  :notsure:

Do a search for "Series Regulator" posted by Inverterman or go to the USA dominated V.com site where he is a Mod

:2: :biker1: