Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Back again 650tom.  (Read 611 times)

Offline 650tom

• Versys Pro
Back again 650tom.
« on: Apr 22, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Hi all used to be a user, about 2011 when I had a mk2.    Loved bike, but had 3 problems for me, I'm only 5ft 6 and 10 stone.    Lower seat solved height problem but went the R1 shock and Faulkner spring for second problem, 3 rd problem was the brakes.     Looking at getting a mk3,   tend to ride on the faster side of touring, IAM progressively.     Bike was a great bike once sorted, and covered over 18k in 18 months, never did anything to brakes, just got used to them.     The main problem was the harsh ride and sore back I would get from shock, the R1 shock and spring resolved this and completely changed the bikes comfort.   The big question is are the brakes on mk3 better and would I need to change out the shock, low seat will resolve the other problem or a bit of str3ching of the legs.    Many thanks.   Life after versys was BMW f800r, triumph tiger xr800, yamaha tracer 900 and bmw r1200gs (hyperpro lower springs).   

Many thanks.

Tom
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2019, 11:06 AM by 650tom »

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
Re: Back again 650tom.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2019, 08:10 AM »
I'm 5ft 4" Tom and can manage the mark 1&2 ok but the mark 3 can't be lowered as much so bear that in mind
Jim

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin
  • City / Town: CONSETT
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2019, 09:12 AM »
The brakes on the Mk3 are a huge improvement over the Mk1 & Mk2 thanks to Kawasaki using a new master cyclinder and Nissin calipers,it was the 1st thing i noticed when i went from a Mk2 to a Mk3.

:031:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline 650tom

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Thanks Jim, didn't know that, on my 2010 I had the link from California and a low seat. In till I could stand the harsh ride no longer and did the R1 shock but because new spring was softer did not use the adaptor.   Is your face book page the 1200 limited edition bandit..

Tom

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Tom.  I have owned a MK 3 for 6 months and 5 thousand miles, and after owning a MK2 in 011.

The MK3 is a brilliant testimony to Kawasaki's policy of improving the product in ways that owners have asked for. The MK3 has way better brakes, way better suspension, whilst also looking more attractive.

I have been truly amazed at just how good the MK3 is. After many years on bigger, more powerful bikes I was expecting my return to a less powerful bike to be a massive shock to my system, but after age related health issues pretty much forced my hand, and after both MK 1 and MK2 Versys 1000s had given great pleasure ( they are a great bike, with a total peach of an engine). I have arrived back at the little Versys.

Once I got my head round the fact that they are a 650cc twin, mine has proved to be a little stunner, and for a 650 twin will go like sh--of a chrome plated shovel if you so desire.

The suspension is better for me than the oe set up on the bigger bike, and so far I have felt no need to make any adjustments to the front, and just a slight tweak to pre- load on the rear.

I don't feel that the brakes are lacking in any way, and are perfectly acceptable for normal road use.

I have also found that the MK3 is very comfy, and MY arms, legs, and general fit is  excellent. I am 6 foot tall, and 15 and a half stone, and do feel very cozy.

I tend to buy jack of all trade bikes, and the little Versys is right up there with the best. 

I would advise a looooong test ride, in order to form an opinion of your own, you should be warned though, that to do so would likely result in a big hit to the wallet.  :008:  good luck Geoff  :002:
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 05:57 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline 650tom

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Thanks for info.

Tom

Offline walshymatt

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys CAF 2011
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Hi Tom

Ive got a Mk2 and ride both me and the misses are sore after a long ride. I tend to be sore on it even when i go out on my own for a long ride.Do you have a link to the R1 Shock you bought by any chance? and how easy/hard was it to fit? might be worth a try for us.

Thanks
Matt

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:56 AM »
I'm old school Tom don't know anything about Facebook
Jim