Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine mount question  (Read 580 times)

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
Engine mount question
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Probably a stupid question, and feel free to tell me that I'm being a fin de cloche, but until I've done this operation I won't have the experience to know the answer to my own question.

I've got a new set of crash bars, RD Moto, to put on. From the instructions it looks like this involves removing the rod from the rear lower engine mount and replacing it with a longer rod and spacer, to bring the left hand end out far enough for the crash bar to bolt onto. But I see from the service manual in the secret place that there is an adjuster on that engine mount, which requires a special tool to adjust.

I'm guessing  that the adjuster is to get the spacing between the frame and engine correct, and that as I'm not going to go near its locknut, just by removing the rod and replacing it with another it's not something that I need to worry about.

I don't want to start doing this on Saturday and end up getting all sweary because I can't finish the job due to lack of some special tool that can only be got on the second Monday of the month.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: Engine mount question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:42 AM »
When I fitted engine bars on my mk2 the long engine bolt slid straight out and the new one went in very easily too.

No need to play around with adjusters or positioning.

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I can confirm that no engine mount bolts (front or rear) require any special tools whatsoever for removal.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Thank you both. That's given me more confidence that I'm not going to cock it up.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Well that was both better and worse than I expected. Better because I now have confidence that I can take it apart and put it back together again. It might look very different to my last motorbike (and go a lot better), but they still use threaded fasteners to hold it all together.

The worse. Someone's been a bit sloppy with their measuring. I started assembling everything loosely, attached the end underneath the sprocket and the bit above

The looked at where it was meant to mount at the front. Oh.

ok, try it the other way, undo the bottom mount and hold it up against the front engine mount

and lets see how it lines up at the bottom.

Bugger. That's not going to work. Tomorrow I shall have to contact them.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:40 AM »

Not totally unusual with aftermarket accessories. I've had similar problems with Hepco Becker bars, although not to that extent.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37 AM »
As both Tom Jones and Rob say, it's not unusual.

You can see the holes are slotted to allow some wiggle room.
Hook it on the bottom first and put the nut on but only put it on a few turns, not tight at all.
You should be able to get it close on the others and then persuade them into place.

Practice a few choice swear words first and if you are like Mothy have the cat on stand by for when you need to give something a good kicking in frustration.

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Yup, the need for a bit of stretching and pulling is not unusual...

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Ah a song theme.      :whistle:       You could try, as Dave Dee, dozy , beeky, mike and titch suggested " Bend it Bend it, just a little bit ".     :188:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:22 AM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 03:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
As both Tom Jones and Rob say, it's not unusual.

You can see the holes are slotted to allow some wiggle room.
Hook it on the bottom first and put the nut on but only put it on a few turns, not tight at all.
You should be able to get it close on the others and then persuade them into place.

Practice a few choice swear words first and if you are like Mothy have the cat on stand by for when you need to give something a good kicking in frustration.

I'd only spun the nut at the bottom on with my fingers, nothing was tightened at that stage. But... with my new found confidence (ie. I know what goes where) I'll have another go when I get a moment - it'll only take me about 10 minutes this time.

As for cats, well mines on notice that if he bites me again he's going to become a nice furry seat cover. It'll save a fortune on whiskers and kitty litter.