Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The NVM committee in action  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Re: The NVM committee in action
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
The UK and ROI have confirmed that the common travel area that pre-dated EU membership will continue no matter what (unless the EU force ROI to do something daft). So vanishingly unlikely to be any need for visa's etc.

In the extremely unlikely event of that happening (admittedly more likely than Remain MP's finding their democratic credentials any time soon) then simply travel to Scotland and do the Stranraer-Larne route. Never leave the UK border and therefore no paperwork whatsoever. With the added bonus of more time on the bike.

If you decide to ride up with me that's my likely route as the crossing will be cheaper and the time on the ferry shorter (not a massive fan of ferries).

All to decide a bit nearer the time though...and yes, all are welcome. Given Clubpenguin's farts breached several international treaties on use of toxic gas it's hard to think of anything you could say to get yourself uninvited. You also share an opinion with many on this site regarding Brexit...not mine, but I'm a Leaver so therefore inherently better informed, more objective and with a greater respect for democracy ...

... let the flaming begin  :11:

:031: Cheers!

Appreciate the reassurance, my new Versy痴 is now at the dealer, so I知 one step closer and looking forward to this trip!

In terms of pre EU stuff, I値l have to take your word for it...
I知 not old enough to remember  :whistle:  :4:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2019, 06:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]

OOOH cutting - accurate but cutting!! :2: :001: :001:

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 01:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]

A lot of rose tinted specs going on here (again), I seem to remember collecting a lot of stamps in my passport when holidaying in Malta in the early 70's and the queues for passport control, still wasn't as bad as the Irish citizens who were all ushered into separate queues to go anywhere and all treated as potential terrorists, my memory isn't as long as some on here, but it's a damned sight more accurate  :008:
Just passin' through

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 05:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
A lot of rose tinted specs going on here (again), I seem to remember collecting a lot of stamps in my passport when holidaying in Malta in the early 70's and the queues for passport control, still wasn't as bad as the Irish citizens who were all ushered into separate queues to go anywhere and all treated as potential terrorists, my memory isn't as long as some on here, but it's a damned sight more accurate  :008:

I知 not old enough to be born in the 70s but I imagine the separate queue thing was so others didn稚 see the champagne and cake the Irish got for being brave enough to travel lol.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Been going to Ireland every year for the past 50 odd years and not a lot has changed, cusory glance at your passport, the odd inspection on both sides, random questions, Punts for Euros , did you ever see the size of the old punt notes, you could have slept under them they were that big.
It will be fine, pop down the post office get an international driving permit, green card and away yee go. Ain't like your going to be going into North Korea or summat  :138: Might be as many weapons  though  :008: :008: :008:
@Jay, will it be marching season or will everyone have  finished pissing  about by the time of the meet?
I am fancying landing in Dub and heading up, might even head into the west for a few days first then plod up.
All to be decided nearer the time.
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 08:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Been going to Ireland every year for the past 50 odd years and not a lot has changed, cusory glance at your passport, the odd inspection on both sides, random questions, Punts for Euros , did you ever see the size of the old punt notes, you could have slept under them they were that big.
It will be fine, pop down the post office get an international driving permit, green card and away yee go. Ain't like your going to be going into North Korea or summat  :138: Might be as many weapons  though  :008: :008: :008:
@Jay, will it be marching season or will everyone have  finished pissing  about by the time of the meet?
I am fancying landing in Dub and heading up, might even head into the west for a few days first then plod up.
All to be decided nearer the time.

Ok firstly we use 」 not thankfully. So don稚 be going and getting euros just yet.
No need to change your money to Irish notes. We aren稚 England... we accept all pound symbols here.

Security isn稚 too bad at ferry but do expect to see the odd armoured car dotted every 10metres down the exit ramp.
ALL of our police carry guns! Don稚 piss them off!

Green permit might be needed for travel to Dublin. Will have to wait and see how brexit goes on that one.

Still a lot of guns here and people willing to use them. Don稚 stop for strangers and don稚 stop for teenagers. Both likely to kill you and trash your bike. (Mk1 owners ignore this section).
Body armour available to rent from Stenaline lol.

(This bit is real!)
Marching season starts around end of May/Start of June. We won稚 see much of it due to the route we will take but there will be a few out and about if you really want to go see one. Just be prepared for trouble and a lot of armed riot police. Might even see the police tanks out and about!

Any other questions let me know lol

Jay
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:13 PM by NIVersysOwner »
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37 PM »
NIVersysOwner

Just a guess, but you don't work for the NI Tourist Board do you  :008:
Just passin' through

Offline Manchester1970

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2014 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #57 on: Jun 04, 2019, 08:22 PM »
I had to pull out of the meet last month, owing to mother-in-law coming out of hospital and moving in with us. I was gutted.

Wife is saying I should go on next years to NI - so i知 In  :002:

Let us know which ferry is the preferred choice and i値l Join in.  Do we have an area in mind? Camping? Hotel? Hostel?

Never been on one of these (or to Northern Ireland) so definitely looking forward to it.

Any other newbies?

Colin (Manchester1970)
2014 - Versys650, blacked out 😉

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #58 on: Jun 06, 2019, 05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Manchester1970 [+]
I had to pull out of the meet last month, owing to mother-in-law coming out of hospital and moving in with us. I was gutted.

Wife is saying I should go on next years to NI - so i知 In  :002:

Let us know which ferry is the preferred choice and i値l Join in.  Do we have an area in mind? Camping? Hotel? Hostel?

Never been on one of these (or to Northern Ireland) so definitely looking forward to it.

Any other newbies?

Colin (Manchester1970)

Yep, Newbie Versy痴 owner here  :37:

Also never been to NI, I値l be traveling up from London Kent border area  :5:

Once we know what ferry is most popular, I値l start making plans too.
Most likely taking a couple of days to travel north, avoiding motorways and hopefully be able to arrange meeting a few other Versy痴 owners on route!
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Manchester1970

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2014 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #59 on: Jun 06, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Perfect.  I知 30 mins from Liverpool here, but will go to other ports if better crossing.

Definitely meet up with you (and others) en route, much more fun riding with others

Will plan nearer the time, once ferry plans are in place :)
2014 - Versys650, blacked out 😉