Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: fork seals.  (Read 457 times)

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys tourer
  • City / Town: London
fork seals.
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 12:25 AM »
I've a slight weep from my righthand fork seal, i mean very slight, but as MOT time is soon approaching thought I'd address it, first off I'm going to try my "seal buddy", i've used it on other bikes before with good results, but you do run the risk of making things worse.

If that doesn't work then I'll replace both sides, not having done the seals on the Versys before anything out of the ordinary I should be aware of ?

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: fork seals.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2019, 12:52 AM »

I use my thinnest feeler gauge for the same thing and not yet made things worse. Did it just yesterday on the Mk1 and put the better part of 500 km on it today on mixed pavement, both forks dry as a bone.

Not aware of anything out of the ordinary on the Versys seal change. I shop the job out but have watched several times and not heard techs grumbling or exclaiming.

Rob.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2019, 12:54 AM by uralrob »
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2019, 08:51 PM »
I made a fork seal scraper out of a plastic cup when the T800's fork seal when when i was on the IVM in Colorado last year  :033:

Sorted it no problem  :028: :028:

Richard    :001: 

Offline shanco73

• Versys Member
  • Bike: GSXR1000, vmk2.
  • City / Town: Camberley
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Is the idea with these makeshift fork seal tools, to run the tool in between the slider and the dust seal and oil seal to try and get it to reseat? I have a leaking fork seal, i will remove the fork leg and take to a shop to have them replace the seal, i dont fancy the job at home, i will get him to do both sides and change the grade of oil at the same time. But if something like this might help in the mean time???
Yamaha sailant, gpz500,zzr600,nc30,tdm850,yzf600r,vfr750,gsxr1000 k3, Versys mk2.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2019, 01:31 AM »

Yup, it will probably help.

Pry the dust seal down gently. Sometimes fingers will do it, sometimes gentle use of a flat blade screw driver is necessary.
With the dust seal down and out of the way clean out the space between the oil seal and the end of the outer fork then slide the instrument of your choice between the inner fork leg and the leaking oil seal and carefully it work it around the entire circumference of the fork. This cleans out any bits of dirt between the lip of the seal and the inner fork. Much easier if the fender is off.

This is often good for 000s of km.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2019, 06:25 PM »
took me about ten minutes to do both sides, needed pumping a half dozen times, but it's done the trick, got 100 on the motorway tomorrow, so that should show any issue. (Oh and  Rob's right, take the mudguard off).

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2019, 09:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
I made a fork seal scraper out of a plastic cup when the T800's fork seal when when i was on the IVM in Colorado last year  :033:

Yeah made my own, but couldn't find it at some point so bought one a few years back, was about 4.

Offline klekid

• Versys Pro
  • 50 chr max
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Hazelbury Bryan
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I would use a piece of 35mm film negative before digital cameras.
"If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together".

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by klekid [+]
I would use a piece of 35mm film negative before digital cameras.
Worth a go, to see how it developes.😎