Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Accessories and power availability  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Bikky

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
Re: Accessories and power availability
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2019, 08:24 PM »
I was going to ask if the shunt meant excess was sent to heat exchanger, meaning extra available power from led conversions would leave more for aux additions.

I'll be having a switched relay, so aux lights and usb etc, will only be powered with ignition live and switch on, so the likes of compressor on a separate 12v supply will just be ignition live.

So changing the low power lights for LEDs will give more available, as well as more visibility.

Thanks all for replies, this makes more sense now.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2019, 02:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bikky [+]
I was going to ask if the shunt meant excess was sent to heat exchanger, meaning extra available power from led conversions would leave more for aux additions.

I'll be having a switched relay, so aux lights and usb etc, will only be powered with ignition live and switch on, so the likes of compressor on a separate 12v supply will just be ignition live.

So changing the low power lights for LEDs will give more available, as well as more visibility.

Thanks all for replies, this makes more sense now.
I will try and keep this short, and the least technical. The heat exchanger is your regulator. I need to point something out, reducing the headlight load and city lights to LED  would amount to about 40 to 50 watt reduction. That 40 to 50 watts will end up going to the shunt regulator, I don't know if the design by the manufacturer allowed for the additional heat, and I doubt most members on this forum understand how a shunt regulator works. Imagine having a generator at home and running some loads in your house during a power outage off the generator,the voltage regulation would be done by adding loads to keep the voltage at a proper level ( the shunt regulator adds load in the form of wasting energy to ground as heat to keep the voltage from exceeding 15 VDC ) every time your fridge would run you would need to unplug the equivalent load, every time it stopped you would need to add the equivalent load to keep your light bulbs from blowing. Stopping there, for those technical, the generator comparison I have ignored frequency .

Comments earlier about paying someone to install a series regulator seemed ridiculous, I would expect to pay $121  GBP which would be the cost of a used polaris 4012941 and the labour to install it. If you know how to solder, or are well versed in proper crimping, I have photos on wiring , recommend the Triumph harness for about $6 GBP , I would say my wife could do the wiring, the challenge for her would be getting the gas tank off and getting the bike strapped down on my lift. Due to the fact I have spent several years refining this, and the fact this forum caused a bit of grief, ( not saying I wasn't partially at fault) I will not post anything related to series regulators on this forum, as to photos or how to proceed.
Those who wish to proceed to convert to a series regulator can PM me, all my technical posts are copyright protected on another forum, only accessible to members.

Offline Bikky

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Thanks, I did forget to mention that bit of changing the city lights would mean that excess goes to the shunt until extra power is drawn elsewhere.