Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Cheeky or naughty  (Read 705 times)

Offline Bigzed

• Versys Newbie
Cheeky or naughty
« on: Jun 19, 2019, 10:37 PM »
Was out on the versy at weekend and 2 guys on bmw gsa,s  pulled along side off where i was parked they was looking at my bike and i was listening to them, note both there bikes spotless, cutting a long story short one of the guys said why spend money on it just buy an adventure bike,😤
 i bit my lip they obviously they have no idea😂 even the wife looked at me 😂 as if for me to say something, any way i didn't, 😉 wonder if its happened to anyone else.

Offline MartinD

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Traitor (VStrom)
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Cheeky or naughty
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2019, 11:00 PM »
I must admit I do find any sort of rivalry between types/makes of bikes strange...
I appreciate all bikes, from scooters to trail bikes, sports bikes, cruisers, adventure bikes....
the adventure bike category is misleading, you can have an adventure on any bike ...
as that guy that travelled home from Australia to England on a 100cc postal bike proved.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2019, 06:25 AM »
+1, some of the most adventurous riders I've met have been on the least likely bikes. At the TT this year there was a French group of V-Max riders who were touring Europe with a stop on the IoM. There was an 80 year old Italian who was hedge camping his way down to his homeland on a clapped out cruiser. I'll never forget meeting a Scottish lass who was riding down from Scotland on a Suzuki GS500, ratty old soft panniers and a backpack bungeed to her tank who was just riding as far as she could every day and was planning on riding until her money ran out. The list goes on and on...but funnily enough I can't recall an interesting conversation with a 1200GS rider.

I see more GS's parked in front of Starbucks than I do on the road. Shame, because they are great bikes.

I wouldn't dream of telling someone (implied or otherwise) that it's not worth spending money on their own bike. The sheer arrogance of their statement!!!!  :125:

A quiet smirk and chuckle to yourself as probably the right choice, but it would've been nice to ask them how many miles they've done off road on their shiny steeds.

A GS with knobbly tyres is like a Range Rover with a tow hitch...for decorative purposes only.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2019, 06:32 AM by jonnster71 »

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Same for me, I would never scuff another rider for his/her bike choice, or at least for nothing more than a moment of good-natured kidding. I reckon we all get what it is about BMW that attracts its owners: the prestige of the badge, the long gloried history of it, the novelty and eccentricity of German engineering... even the cost of machine and maintenance as the price of admission to the club.

A lot of the same factors justify the huge HD following in the US, and the BMW culture is here as well. Whatever floats your boat as they say. And I can't ignore that these folks are not the least bit impressed that we ride Kawasaki for half the money, aggravation and shop time/cost. They know why they pay the freight to ride the bike they ride, and more power to 'em. If it works for them, that's what counts.  :031:

Thirty-some years back I used to attend a BMW rally in Oklahoma every summer. That bunch was tough as nails, riding their old boxers with a jillion miles on them, able to field strip their bikes blindfolded, with their ham-like left forearms from squeezing that perversely hard clutch... a fine bunch of people, friendly and welcoming of me on my GS1100 and my little pup tent, though always trying to sell me their backup Beemer, which was always in need of serious work...  :124:

Those guys were hell to beat in a slow race.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2019, 04:26 PM by TallTex »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2019, 04:37 PM »

T.T., you've got that about right. The old airhead clan were a different breed of cat from the current G.S. crew 'tho, whose biggest muscle is the one that thumbs open the wallet.

My wife had an R80RT at one point. The only thing more labour intensive than that was my Ural.

Gotta go now, the Kawi hasn't been out since yesterday  :2: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2019, 07:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bigzed [+]
Was out on the versy at weekend and 2 guys on bmw gsa,s  pulled along side off where i was parked they was looking at my bike and i was listening to them, note both there bikes spotless, cutting a long story short one of the guys said why spend money on it just buy an adventure bike,😤
 i bit my lip they obviously they have no idea😂 even the wife looked at me 😂 as if for me to say something, any way i didn't, 😉 wonder if its happened to anyone else.
A couple of prized Tossers as they should be called 👍
Richard    :001:           

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Its easy to start a conversation with a GS rider,
Just ask him who hed rather be...
Charlie or Ewan???

:4: :4: :4:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I would never be criticise anyone's choice of bike must be the rudest thing of all
Jim

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:13 PM »
It is always impolite when someone  throws shade on your ride, but OTOH if it upsets you you might not be on the right bike yet. But if you know what you ride and why you ride it, such remarks only warrant a chuckle and a head shake... I have been much maligned by the more cultish outlaw class of HD riders at teddy bear runs and such, but it rolls off me like water off a duck's back. My response often seems to make them feel insecure... :027: :008:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Rusty_51

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2019, 01:05 PM »
 :33:
*Originally Posted by Bigzed [+]
Ehh, forget about it, it happens me all the time.