Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Route Planning Advice  (Read 894 times)

Offline MartinD

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Traitor (VStrom)
  • City / Town: Reading
Route Planning Advice
« on: Jun 20, 2019, 12:19 PM »

I used to use www.motogoloco.com to plan routes and then import to my Garmin GPS, it was sooo simple to do... but the service is no longer offered due to some contract issue with Google Maps...  :138:

Whats the easiest way of planning routes and uploading them to a Garmin GPS? I tried BaseCamp but I didn't find it user friendly AT ALL....

Any tips?

Thanks guys

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Route Planning Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I use MyrouteApp which allows me to plan a route / all the NVM routes on a Smartphone / Tablet / Windows PC under one account.

This program can also save the route in all known GPS formats and directly to a connected GPS / PC. (Garmin, TT, H&D, BMW etc)

For instance, I can plan the route on the PC,
As it also is account linked to my Smartphone, I can then view the route on that as well.
Then I save the .gpx file via the App to the phone, and my Garmin "Smartphone link Software" on the phone then automaticly picks the new .gpx file up and connects to my Zumo 346/396 LMT via bluetooth and loads the route automatically into it, ready to be followed  :biker1:

Richard  :001:
Richard    :001:           

Offline MartinD

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Thanks for tip TowerMan, I will give it a try.  :028:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Martin, call me OLD fashioned, but paper maps do it for me.   :008:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline MartinD

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2019, 05:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Martin, call me OLD fashioned, but paper maps do it for me.   :008:
There's a strong argument for paper maps, some technology drives me around the bend!  :008:

But so far so good with MyRouteApp

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2019, 08:33 PM »
I use TyreToTravel (aka Tyre for short).

Itís the predecessor to MyRouteApp, from the same developer.

Free download available online for your PC. The TomTom originally came with a free lifetime Ďproí membership.

Iím pleased to say the membership is still valid and the developer still regularly updates Tyre and I swear by it.

Itís a bit more old school compared with my route app and less flashy, which suits me as a tech dinosaur!

Iíve planned routes around the UK as well as trips around Europe and itís never let me down.

You can save files in TomTom or Garmin friendly format and upload straight from your computer.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Paper maps for me also. I want to sit with the map and visualize how the countryside and roads are laid out. I also put the list of L's and R's and road numbers on a sticky note and stick it on my phone and mostly go from that. And use the sun for a compass, and am also capable of getting good and lost if I stray off course under a solid overcast.  :015:

Neuroscientists say using GPS devices is shrinking the part of the brain we use for spatial orientation, just like calculators have retarded the part of the brain we use to lick the end of a pencil and do math operations by hand.

Of course, using autos and motorbikes has weakened the parts of the body we used for walking for frostbitten hours through the snow to get anywhere, but it's hard to regret missing out on that.  :124:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2019, 06:11 AM »
I used to enjoy using maps but I can't remember road numbers now it's an age thing so I use a sat nav but always have a map with me just in case
Jim

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin
  • City / Town: CONSETT
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2019, 11:17 PM »
+1 for MyRouteapp can't fault it.

:031:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2019, 01:26 PM »
I usually use a map for an overall view and then just put the route into the Garmin direct, often just a handful of well chosen points will do the trick and Michelin Maps also highlight the scenic roads too.
I think the myroute app in web based so is fine if you have good wifi, but when travelling that is not always the case.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Honet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE