Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ooh look, ANOTHER stick coil that hasn't lasted more than 20k miles  (Read 789 times)

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
Sorry to hear you are having all these problems ,don't know the answer but I never spray a hose anywhere near the top of the engine,hope find a cure.
Jim

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
By the way, if anyone has a decent idea for how to remove any crud/oxidisation from the plug tubes, especially the top where the stick coil seals it would be very, very appreciated.
J

I suggest you could do the following  :notsure:

Take tank and battery off the bike.
Put an old plug in down down in the plug holes and do up.
Lay bike down gently on its LHS.
Blast loose crud out with jet wash.
Clear all water out with high pressure air hose, or a cheap bike dryer - like this HERE  :028:
Polish insides of tubes the best you can with a rag and autosolve.

Job done  :107:  :027:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Make sure the drain hole that let's the water out of the plug holes is not blocked or does not get blocked during the clean up as that can cause similar problems. I am sure you know about that Johnster but others reading the thread may be unaware that one exists as it's not very obvious.
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
J

I suggest you could do the following  :notsure:

Take tank and battery off the bike.
Put an old plug in down down in the plug holes and do up.
Lay bike down gently on its LHS.
Blast loose crud out with jet wash.
Clear all water out with high pressure air hose, or a cheap bike dryer - like this HERE  :028:
Polish insides of tubes the best you can with a rag and autosolve.

Job done  :107:  :027:
Tanks already off, so not that much more work than I've already done.  :031:

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
Make sure the drain hole that let's the water out of the plug holes is not blocked or does not get blocked during the clean up as that can cause similar problems. I am sure you know about that Johnster but others reading the thread may be unaware that one exists as it's not very obvious.
Good point, didn't even think of that...and no, didn't know about that so cheers for the heads up.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
For those of you wondering about drain holes on the Mk2 650...there aren't any. Maybe this is a mod on the Mk3 but I looked and looked and couldn't find any drain hole.

WORK DONE
New plugs and stick coils fitted.
Vac mod done on the throttle bodies.
Scottoiler removed as I think there was a small vacuum leak on it somewhere (stopped working years ago).
Fuel tank drain pipes re-routed as they were a bugger to re-attach.
Hidden rust spots treated.

I started her up and she back-fired like a bugger, then realised I hadn't reconnected the air temp sensor on the air box, so tank off (again) refitted everything and then started up again.

Initial impressions
Still lumpy but possibly a bit smoother at tickover.
Rev's very freely...again possible psychosomatic

Time for a razz to see if the work has made a real difference. I can't really tell until the bike is put under some proper load. Just hope these used stick coils are OK, I did test them and they had decent resistance on primary and secondary circuits/windings/whatever (at least using the Youtube tutorial I found).

Still annoyed but at least this forced me to get off my ass and sort a couple of long overdue mods/maintenance jobs.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
For those of you wondering what the top of the head looks like ie. underneath of the airbox and fuel tank, here's a photo of mine. :notsure:

Yes, there's clear evidence of too much water getting onto the top of the engine so no more pressure washer for me. :138:

Offline Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Johnster, I may be getting my bikes mixed up and cannot check as I no longer have my V650 which was a MK1. I thought there was a drain hole that exited below the headers, starting from the plug holes, it was to allow any oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket to drain away just in case the gasket got nipped when checking the shims. Maybe Towerman or other long term owner could confirm if it exists or not, apologies in advance if I sent you on a wild goose chase. Cheers Onslowe
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
Johnster, I may be getting my bikes mixed up and cannot check as I no longer have my V650 which was a MK1. I thought there was a drain hole that exited below the headers, starting from the plug holes, it was to allow any oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket to drain away just in case the gasket got nipped when checking the shims. Maybe Towerman or other long term owner could confirm if it exists or not, apologies in advance if I sent you on a wild goose chase. Cheers Onslowe
No problem mate, you did me a favour by making me inspect it much more closely than I would've normally (never checked the plug recess before...in 7 years!) :028:

So, back from a quick 40 mile blast. Report below;

Tickover - definitely improved, with no surging at all. :028:
Low speed/filtering - still naff. Perhaps a marginal improvement but nothing significant enough to recommend the vac port mod :027:
Mid range/acceleration - seems stronger with more torque, although there is definitely a surge/flat spot around the 4.5k rpm area. Probably the plugs and coils account for most of the improvement (if this isn't just me tricking myself). :4:
Top end - great, back to where it was years ago. I'm convinced I had a tiny vac leak from the Scottoiler line that only kicked in under high pressure. Thumbs up for vac port mod
Deceleration/backfire - still there but less pronounced. :028:

Overall I would say the vac port mod is worth doing if you're already taking the air box out for other maintenance but the difference is hardly noticeable. I reckon most of the improvement is down to decent stick coils (mine must've been failing for a while) and perhaps new plugs (although the old ones weren't that bad).

Who knows how long this pair of coils will last, but I will no longer be using my pressure washer at all on the bike. :138: The coils are installed with plenty of high-temp silicon grease around the seals so will only be exposed to water from wet motorway runs. Time will tell.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated...and my numpty status is now confirmed. :42:
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 05:23 PM by jonnster71 »