Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Born again from North Yorkshire - Endeavor  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Endeavor

• Versys Newbie
Born again from North Yorkshire - Endeavor
« on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Hi,

Newbie here and just returning to bikes after a 25 year break.  Didn稚 want to be the stereotypical slightly over middle aged bloke who buys the fastest sports bike he can get his hands on,  as I have neither the skills nor the money, so shopped around for something more suitable and from a choice between the Versys and the VStrom, the former won out because of the looks (shallow, I know) and the GT package which set the bike at a quid lower than 」8k.  Well, the 25 year absence has shown itself to be as long as it sounds.  Took the bike out last Sunday for a couple of hours to get the feel of things and to get the run in period started and it was obvious to anyone who knew, that I was more than a tad rusty, and during the first hour I was seriously wondering if a return to motorcycling had been a good idea and whether buying that shed that the wife liked would have been a safer pursuit.  However, things started to get better and with the exception of nearly dropping it in front of three lads on Sportsbikes as I pulled away from Leeming Services, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It痴 a lovely bike and I知 more than certain that we will grow used to each other as time goes on.  I知 afraid that due to other issues I will be, at least for the short term, a Sunday rider only, but they will be long rides, very long.  Anyway, great site and I知 pleased to make your acquaintance!
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2019, 07:11 AM by Endeavor »

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
Re: Born again from North Yorkshire - Endeavor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Welcome endeavour you have made a great choice take it easy at first and It will all come back to you.
Jim

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2019, 10:02 AM »
 :185: to the forum.

Steady away young man. 

I was torn between a 650 Versys ( I have previous with a mk 2), and a V-strom.  But like yourself, I went with the Versys, I also think that the Versys is a better looking bike, and also slightly better in the braking and suspension departments.

I am sure that you will learn to love the little fella. One thing for sure the Versys is a great bike, and is spot on in the real world that we all have to ride in.

Where abouts in North Yorkshire do you live :question: . I am in Leyburn, you would be more than welcome to call for a brew and a chin wag, or if you need any bike related questions answered.

Cheers  :031:   Geoff.    :2:
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2019, 10:06 AM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Endeavor

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Hi Jim and Geoff!   Thanks for the welcome.  I知 about 15 minutes away from you Geoff, down in the Garrison!

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Endeavor [+]
Hi Jim and Geoff!   Thanks for the welcome.  I知 about 15 minutes away from you Geoff, down in the Garrison!
Welcome from the Great North -East of England. :028: If you are a little bit rusty you could do a lot worse than tag on the back of Geoff for a few rideouts  in those glorious dales.  :002:

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:44 PM »
A warm welcome from Texas, Endeavor.  :031:
\
I took 15 years off myself. Eventually I bought back one of my old bikes, a Suzuki Savage, from the friend I had sold it to 15 yrs. before. (I sold it to him pristine and bought it back as a "project" but for very little money.) But doing that saved my bacon, as I was 2 years into caring for my mother, bedridden and with paranoid dementia, and my mind was about to snap from the difficulty of it. Riding was my therapy.

I took it very slowly at first because, being 15 years more tempered and mature, I knew what I didn't know and what skills I had lost and was rightly nervous. But it all came back and then some: I know I ride more intelligently than I ever did in my young riding days, and am more rewarded by knowing how to do it smoothly and well.

May returning be as wonderful for you as it was for me. Respect your limits until you are riding well within them.  :123A:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin
  • City / Town: CONSETT
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2019, 01:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum matey  :031:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline Helios

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Lanzarote
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum im new to it aswell just awaiting my bike arriving ive been riding for the past 40 years and my advice would be ride your own ride dont try and keep up with others be comfortable with how you are going go at your own pace
Enjoy and be safe

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2019, 09:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
Welcome from the Great North -East of England. :028: If you are a little bit rusty you could do a lot worse than tag on the back of Geoff for a few rideouts  in those glorious dales.  :002:
There won't be anyone following me around the Dales for a while Dave.   I have more waterworks problems at the minute, and am awaiting an appearance at James Cook in Middlesbrough for another op. I am hopeful that this summer ( if it ever starts) is not going to pass me by.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Hi and welcome to the the forum.

Take it steady until you fully appreciate what this bike can do.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.