Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: touring screen  (Read 246 times)

Offline Bikky

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
touring screen
« on: Jun 26, 2019, 11:46 PM »
Anyone tried one of these?  At 6ft 2 tall and riding quite upright, I'm getting deafened.  Didn't know whether to go for one of these, or a straight one and add the extra spoiler.

https://www.slipscreens.co.uk/kawasaki-650-versys-2006-2009-touring-screen/

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: touring screen
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02:06 AM »
Bikky, do you wear earplugs when riding longer distances?  Regardless of what screen you end up using, earplugs are a must if you want to maintain your hearing.  Riding long days without them will cause irreversible damage.

I tried something similar Powerbronze offered in the prehistoric days of the Versys.  It didn't work for me.  It brought the air just to helmet level, causing more noise and turbulence (FWIW, I'm 5'11"). 

As you can see in the picture, I even tried it with a different angle of attack (I made custom spacers for it)

Didn't work.   :211:

Obviously, this is a very personal issue.  Rob, who is about 6'2" too, rides with various iterations of "barn-doors" and swears by them.  Every time I get on one of his bikes I swear at them...   :125: 

I prefer a smaller screen that brings the air to chest level.  That way you have clean, relatively quiet air around the helmet.  It does put more pressure on you when traveling at highway speeds and until you get used to it, it will probably be a little more tiring on long days.

Here are Rob's Mk2 with a CalSci barn door vs. the Mk1 with the stock screen, upside-down:

And V1K with a different barn-door vs. Mk1:

OEM windshield, upside-down, in the middle or lowest position, works best for me:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Bikky

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Thanks for that, and yup I wear either earplugs or in ear silicone headphones to block out as much external noise as I can.

I think the barn door will be my thing, I did see one for sale that looked ok but wondered if a slightly shorter and shaped screen would be better

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Nah  Bikky.   Ya don't want to stick a barn door onto the front of your bike.  Way too big, and a fire risk.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Bikky

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
, and a fire risk.
Lol 🤣

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God