Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Back from the wilderness..................  (Read 1501 times)

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 Grand Tourer
  • City / Town: Newton Abbot
Back from the wilderness..................
« on: Jul 07, 2019, 07:20 AM »
After two new Versys 650 i decided to trial the Versys 1000 and the VStrom 1000. Wasn't too impressed with the Versys and enjoyed the ride with the VStrom.
Variety being the spice of life decided to trade in my then current 650 and went for the VStom in March this year.
The joy was short lived. Found the finish wasnt quite the refined Versys finish. The squared panniers, with the bad design, that stops you having any top box other than a lunch box.  As the side panniers are set high and the topbox plate being lower than the top, a decent size box cant be fitted!
Couldnt fit my helmet in side panniers as i could with Versys for European riding.
Every time you pick up the slightest amount of grit hit the very echoey front guard and makes it sound like something loose or damaged.
My mates commented on its looks; the new blue and white and asked f i was enjoying it?
I always replied early days but just didn't have that feeling. Whenever i use to jump on my Versys i felt excited about my next ride and it always looked good on the eye. Decision was made, ive traded it in .
Got a straight swap from same dealership who i have used for last four bikes and pick up my new Versys 650 GT in Moondust grey.
Perhaps i need to remember size isn't everything and if it isn't broken.................

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
Re: Back from the wilderness..................
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Same here, insert Ducati Multistrada where you’ve written V-strom and you could have written that for me! When I got back to the wee Versys I knew that it was the better bike for me.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Glad to hear im not the only one, Thanks for the reassurance

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2019, 04:31 AM »
Good choice!  I used to have large displacement bikes - tourers, adv-tourers and sportbikes, but I decided many years ago that their smaller brethren were usually more entertaining to ride and no less capable (maybe unless you tour two-up often).  If you read the IVM ride report, you know that I still prefer the smaller bikes.   :biker1:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Totally agree and dont carry pillions, so engine size not at top of list. Thanks for your interest.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:08 PM »
I arrived back at the little Versys after 3 and a half years on the bigger version. 

Health issues were my main issue, and because of them I decided on a return to the smaller bike, I had previously owned a MK2 and had really enjoyed it.

I have found the smaller bike far more engaging to ride.  And for my present needs the MK3 is pretty much spot on .

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Sounds like im talking to the converted. You dont realise what you have until you lose it! lol

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by tonybro [+]
Sounds like im talking to the converted. You dont realise what you have until you lose it! lol

Not quite all the converted, some quietly contented  :whistle:

I thoroughly miss my Z1000SX, and continue to do so.

The V 650 is a compromise for me and one made out of necessity.
The wife (and almost every other insurance company agreed) that after my accident I have to take a break from litre bikes!

Having said all that, I'm happy to admit the V MK3 is better than expected and still gives me plenty of smiles per miles  :2:

She's more hard work to ride, especially fast but in a good way. The 1049cc engine in the SX was so linear smooth and had so much useable grunt that changing gears just became a formality. 3rd was good for anything from 30mph town riding to 80mph motorway cruising, although nice, you become lazy as a rider.
The little V can still provide fun in the Twisties but there's virtually no grunt below 4k revs so you have to work the bike more and hence think about your gear selection in advance. It's teaching me how to 'ride' again and become more engaged with the bike, which I'm loving, but wouldn't necessarily admit.

Went for a ride last week and I was riding the smallest capacity bike by far, the next was an MT09 then a couple of 1200 BMW's and finally a 1300 Yamaha! Although clearly lacking in straight line speed, I was never left behind and more than able to hold my own in the bends, I'd even argue that I had more fun working my V than they did cruising around on their bigger bikes!  :152:

I've also spent the day out with the wife riding pillion (and neither of us are at our 'fighting weight' lol). I didn't have any problems or wish for any more on the motorway, it was kind of nice being content sitting at legal(ish) speeds, and didn't feel the need to go faster!

That kind of brings me to my final point, I've witnessed litre bikes pull away from the lights ahead of me and intially jealous that I couldn't keep pace. However, suddenly realised that used to be me, and sometimes faster, accepting the fact was hard but I quickly took comfort in the fact that I cannot launch myself into the stratosphere anyone, a kind of license saving and potential life saving safety net.
Im still fast, just not ballistically fast anymore and for now, that's ok.

I've no doubt that I'll return to litre bikes one day, probably even an SX but I will return with a refreshed idea of what it means to actually ride my bike and engage with it. Hopefully with a refound sense of self preservation too!  :31:

Sounds a bit biblical, sorry.

Put simply, I'm a litre bike rider with the experience to back it up, I'm just not riding one right now. And do you know what, it's more than just ok, I'm actually enjoying it!!  :37:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2019, 02:24 PM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Ripping off from a stop on the V1K with the front wheel light is a thrill, but it's not a cheap one when it comes to bike price and fuel efficiency. The liter engine is aces for instant high speed passing power on the highway, though. Managing its power for less-than-balls-out riding is also enjoyable, to me at least.

I had a Suz GR650 Tempter back in the '80s. It was a fine bike, really, but I grew tired of the high revs for high speed riding. All right for a while, and the engine didn't mind, but not so great for hours at a time.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2019, 10:52 PM »
I have a debate inside my head every week as to whether or not i could settle with just my scruffy Mk2 Versys as my one-and-only.

I love it to bits and it does exactly what i want as an everyday bike and it accepts the constant ragging without complaint BUT i do like
to have the choice of a big, smooth speedster, don't know if i'd be happy taking the Versys down to the Alps and Pyrenees.

I blew my ZX9R up atop a mountain in South-East France last September and i've only ridden the Versys since.

I'll work it out one day  :015:
More tea, no biscuits