Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Back from the wilderness..................  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Re: Back from the wilderness..................
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2019, 12:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Craigasaki [+]
I have a debate inside my head every week as to whether or not i could settle with just my scruffy Mk2 Versys as my one-and-only.

I love it to bits and it does exactly what i want as an everyday bike and it accepts the constant ragging without complaint BUT i do like
to have the choice of a big, smooth speedster, don't know if i'd be happy taking the Versys down to the Alps and Pyrenees.

I blew my ZX9R up atop a mountain in South-East France last September and i've only ridden the Versys since.

I'll work it out one day  :015:

Is Versy's 1k, best of both worlds??

I know what you mean though, I am more impressed every ride with how versatile the little V is! but it just doesn't feel like it should be able to put up with the abuse as well as it does!  :lostit:  :152:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I'm considering a big Versys Shandy but more likely an SX, i'll have to test-ride both.

I like to chase about the mountains a bit so prefer a sportier bike but i realise the big V is no slouch.

Best get another job first mind  :002:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2019, 06:31 PM »
No, the big V is no slouch at all. Being not as nimble as the 650 leaves room for lots of nimble... it tips in and handles eagerly both fast and slow, it brakes well, and the powerplant is fantastically strong and responsive... truly a great engine. For this you heft a bit more bulk, but not much for what you get in return. For me it is a confidence inspiring bike.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2019, 12:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Craigasaki [+]
I'm considering a big Versys Shandy but more likely an SX, i'll have to test-ride both.

I like to chase about the mountains a bit so prefer a sportier bike but i realise the big V is no slouch.

Best get another job first mind  :002:

Haven't tried the big V but I can say the SX is hard to beat!

The SX is an absolute dream of a bike, but speed is effortless, be warned!  :007:

First thing is change the OEM tyres, there OK for running in but after that CHANGE!
There bloody awful, you read a lot of reviews of the SX that say about the bikes problems when tipping into corners but the truth is as soon as you put different tyres on it completly changes the bike for the better and she begs to be thrown around!

Better for solo touring as the pillion perch is supermodel bum sized really.

The riding position is both touring and sporty mixed but I recommend buying foot peg lowering kit too I think all Kawasaki test riders are 5ft tall and weigh 8st! there definitely not set up for the more European sized male  :whistle: the rear shock suffers for the same reason and is under sprung, a better spring and professional suspension set up will do you well. After that it's just personal taste.

The SX forum is a great place to start, it's a very active forum and loads of really helpful people on there. There's often bikes for sale too!

Good luck and let us know how you get on with test rides (and new job LOL)
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2019, 12:17 AM »
Good points Shandy.

I'd best test the SX with me darlin' cailin on the back 'cos she's showing definite interest in the bikes again, bet she prefers the V1000  :015:

I wouldn't imagine the riding position is any more cramped than the ZX9R so i'll probably be happy enough.

As for a job................. :187:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2019, 12:08 PM »
I'd imagine the V1k would be better for two up riding and the top box would also help as well as giving you more luggage capacity.

The SX can have panniers and top box but only through aftermarket suppliers! Kawasaki will only sell you panniers.

I'd say the SX would be better suited to solo riding though, so might be worth considering just how often is you better half likely to go pillion? Before making the compromise!

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:28 PM »
I'd probably fit a Ventura rack if i get an SX, can't be doing with panniers.

I'd probably get the wife to fly to handy local airport in Spain/France etc and cut her suffering down to a couple of  hundred miles.

She don't like camping neither  :033:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline bgp

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Zagreb
« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2019, 04:00 PM »
I am seriously considering adding 25HP Royal Enfield Himalayan to my stable.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2019, 04:01 PM by bgp »
Bikes: Original 2007 Versys and 2003 ZRX1200S

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I test rode the 2015 V1K and was thoroughly impressed, even the tyres were good. It was perhaps not quite as nimble as the 650 but still very very good through the twisties. A lot faster, it will cruise all day on 60 - 100 mph, comfortable damn near as economical (53 MPG against 60 MPG for the 650) and that was brand new not even run in.
OEM rubber was Bridgestone T30's which for the 730 km ride I did never faulted. I rated them as good as the Pilot Roads for grip (love my Michelin's). If it wasn't so tall I'd possibly bought one although having said that it was no taller than the 650 until I lowered it.
Colour me impressed.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2019, 01:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by bgp [+]
I am seriously considering adding 25HP Royal Enfield Himalayan to my stable.

:37:

That would be my choice for a Genuine adventure bike!

The Himalayan was the first new RE bike where the R&D was done in their new British R&D department.

Their new Twin cylinder bikes are the first to be built here for the European market too!

I was following a rider on a Himalayan around part of the South Circular not long ago. During the night while I was on my way back from a blood run, and I couldn't help but be impressed by how capable and nippy it was!

Really nice bike