Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Alarm or Tracker  (Read 622 times)

Offline KnightOwl

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE GT
  • City / Town: Stanford-le-Hope
Alarm or Tracker
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

New member so be gentle with me. I've seen many posts on it not being worth having and alarm on the Versys and just a good lock and insurance will do. However being the proud owner of a brand new Versys 650 SE GT if I had to go one way or another for peace of mind would you go with an Alarm or a Tracker?

Regards and TIA...

Paul

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Alarm or Tracker
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 10:36 PM »

Maybe your insurance company has suggestions? :notsure:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2019, 12:09 AM »
I'd suggest a tracker if you can afford it, common belief that nobody pays any mind to alarms any more and tea-leaves can shut them up quick anyroad.
More tea, no biscuits

Offline TimTyler

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Versys
  • City / Town: Olympia, WA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02:46 AM »
I keep a Spot Tracker in my bike. I like the set it and forget it approach. Change the batteries about every nine months.

Get a free Spotwalla account and your pals can track your trips. Spotwalla will let you hide your exact location when you're in certain zip codes so people won't know where you live or work.

Call Spot a month before your plan is set to renew and tell them you want to cancel. They'll put you on hold and then offer you a discount to stay. Hold your ground and they'll offer you a bigger discount. Take it.
Tim
2014 Versys 650 & 1991 BMW K75
http://timtyler.com  http://mototrek.net

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Who actually benifits from a tracker, you or the insurance companies  :notsure:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Might depend on your choice of alarm and where you plan to keep your bike. For many years I had to keep my bikes chained to my front wall. Decided to have an alarm fitted when I bought my first 'big' bike... complete pain in the arse, going off every time there was a gust of wind... it was particularly sensitive between the hours of 2 and 5AM! As for nobody noticing, I can assure you the lady of the house always heard it and made sure I responded! I'm afraid I can't remember the alarm manufacturer and technology has probably improved in the following 10 years but I wouldn't have another one.

Offline Evil Twin

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: KLE650 2012
  • City / Town: Near Brighton
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2019, 06:36 PM »
I have a biketrac tracker which was already fitted when I got the bike. Luckily it's not been much use for its intended purpose, but it's handy as it tells me when my 12v battery is low.

Also if I'm on a ride and get lost, I can ride around until I see a sign for a main road I recognise, or use the application* on my phone to find out exactly where I am.

*Couldn't bring myself to type 'app'

Offline Duarte

• Versys Member
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Rushden
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2019, 07:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Maybe your insurance company has suggestions? :notsure:

Rob.

Insurance donít do anything apart of getting money from you.

Offline Duarte

• Versys Member
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Rushden
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Alarm doesnít save your bike tracker does. My tracker was the best thing I ever bought in my bike life. Already saved my bike twice. In any of them I called insurance to let them know. That would put my insurance up right? Think about that

Offline ianjl

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Bedford
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Tracker & some big visible locks / chains. Nobody pays any attention to alarms  - even at 10.30 in the morning in a public car park  :023: