Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Protective Clothing or the lack of it?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 Grand Tourer
  • City / Town: Newton Abbot
Protective Clothing or the lack of it?
« on: Aug 01, 2019, 05:09 PM »
In the last 24 hours i have seen three bikers along the A38 in Devon in short sleeved shirt and or shorts? All were on bikes 600cc upwards. I don't understand the mind set of anyone that would risk scalping their arms, legs or chests of skin.
Having attended a couple of Bike accidents, i have witnessed the damage that can be done in full protective kit. Just because the sun is out doesn't mean the road will be any less hard if you were unlucky enough to make contact with it.
Must admit have only see two previously in the last 12 months. Most bikers have the common sense to don up no matter the weather. Must be the sun getting to their brains???

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Protective Clothing or the lack of it?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:22 PM »
I admit to occasionally nipping into town in just a shirt and jeans, but always wear boots and gloves. Wouldn't dream of getting onto that stretch of the A38 without being fully kitted out...absolutely daft behaviour.

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2019, 09:42 PM »
I've seen a lot of that in the south of France. Bonkers. But it can get pretty hot so I guess some rationalise away the risks  :027:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2019, 07:11 AM »
You’re preaching to the converted here. Although my ankle broke when the bike landed on it the doctor said that my boot had kept it in place which meant no surgery and a quicker recovery.
It is a faff putting all the gear on but sometimes we need to experience the ‘Why’.
I saw a chap who had just come out of the gym ride off on his Tenere (spelling?) wearing tee shirt, shorts and flip flops!!!!
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:59 AM »
in Switzerland last Aug it was 38 degs,  temps like that alter your whole perspective on gear, while I couldn't stomach shorts and t shirt, I did reduce down to ordinary jeans, lighter boots and lightweight jacket, with summer gloves, if I lived there i'd build my gear around those temps, while a textile suit will do for 5 degs to 25 degs in UK most of the time, its not good over there....

Offline bgp

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Zagreb
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Exactly.
Wearing proper gear at this temperatures in the city can get you a heat stroke. For a short rides I just take helmet and gloves. Longer rides are out of the question. Riding A38, I believe, falls in the longer ride category.
Bikes: Original 2007 Versys and 2003 ZRX1200S

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
in Switzerland last Aug it was 38 degs,  temps like that alter your whole perspective on gear, while I couldn't stomach shorts and t shirt, I did reduce down to ordinary jeans, lighter boots and lightweight jacket, with summer gloves, if I lived there i'd build my gear around those temps, while a textile suit will do for 5 degs to 25 degs in UK most of the time, its not good over there....
A couple of years ago in Spain I saw a lad riding with what looked like a string vest under jacket with integral armour. I think it was an armoured under shirt for motocross. So there are ways to ride protected without encasing yourself in a plastic shell.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Mesh jackets are becoming more and more popular, I recently acquired one for free by chance. A bike instructor I know had to give up riding sadly after suffering a brain bleed and subsequent fits.

Being an instructor, he had gear for all weathers and his wife has been slowly sneaking most of it out of the house. She offered me the jacket and a pair of Kevlar jeans. Both have become essential items of clothing for me now!
The main advantage of the jacket is just how light it is compared to my normal textile jacket. The massive difference just makes it so much easier to get on and off when you're already feeling hot. The 'mesh' fabric does let in more air but the Versys screen stops a lot of it and warm air doesn't do much to cool you down.
Kevlar jeans do the same although they are heavier and less breathable than normal jeans so the temptation to just throw on your favourite pair of 501's  for a ride is still strong.

I've been in South of France for the week and must say I've seen enough riders wearing only a t-shirt and jeans or shorts to say that it's still accepted as part of the norm on the continent.

Maybe the lighter traffic and regular high temperatures make it more acceptable, but I wouldn't like to attend an accident down here!

As bikers we are already taking a risk and wearing anything less than full certified riding gear only increases the risk of serious injury in the event of an off. Therefore each rider must make their own assessment and decide on their own acceptable level of protection.
However, there's also a credible argument to say that overheating on a bike is just as dangerous and increases the likelihood of an accident anyway.  :lostit:

As pointed out by someone above, you can usually tell who's had an off and those about to go down by what the're wearing.

FYI ... I'd recommend a summer or mesh jacket to everyone, coupled with a decent pair of Kevlar jeans.
Next on my wish list is a pair of shorter, breathable summer boots
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2019, 04:06 PM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2019, 04:40 PM »

In hot weather I'll sometimes wear shorts and a T shirt underneath my regular riding gear.

Oh, and sandals or flip flops inside my boots  :whistle:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2019, 06:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

In hot weather I'll sometimes wear shorts and a T shirt underneath my regular riding gear.

Oh, and sandals or flip flops inside my boots  :whistle:

Rob.

Perfect!

:008: :4: :008: :4:.   :37:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>