Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Protective Clothing or the lack of it?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
Re: Protective Clothing or the lack of it?
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I use an X-treme high viz mesh jacket with CE1 armor in elbows, shoulders and back, (and a quilted zip out liner) for about 90% of my riding, only going to leather and layers in the coldest weather. Also kevlar jeans or in the cold heavier armored fabric riding pants. I am trying to break the habit of wearing regular jeans because it is stupid stupid stupid... Aplinestars boots, leather riding gloves w/ palm and knuckle protection.

Road rash doesn't just hurt and keep on hurting. It can kill you with septic infection.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2019, 08:45 PM »

but hit 1 car, a fence, signpost, kerb or a wall at any more than 20mph and you can very easily break neck, back, chest etc....ive said it before on here, ive had 2 friends killed in riding accidents at less than 30mph.....their shoulders and elbows were fine....and they had no gravel rash....its a matter of perspective, I worry more about the bits armour can't protect,  so, although I am firmly in favour of a sensible minimum of protection, I refuse to go out dressed like a stormtrooper....you don't always just slide to a halt, something gets in the way and stops you suddenly......protection is always spoken about in terms of armour, road rash etc, but very little in terms of bodily impact......a healthy dose of worry is good...

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I couldn't agree more... though not so much worry as vigilance and an awareness of what could happen.

I am 68 in a week. If I go flying through trees, lamp posts, curbs and highway barriers, you can send my ashes to the sea for dumping...   :019:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TimTyler

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Versys
  • City / Town: Olympia, WA
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2019, 02:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
I refuse to go out dressed like a stormtrooper....you don't always just slide ...

In the last ten years I have had a couple of slow speed spills and a bunch of tip-overs, both on and off-road. If it weren't for my armored outfits and boots I'd be a scraped-up middle-aged excuse for a man, probably with fractures.

When I was 25 I had a 20mph low-side and the foot peg ripped through my jeans and gouged out 5 inches of my leg. Good times.

My Aerostich is cheap insurance for the most common kinds of spills.
Tim
2014 Versys 650 & 1991 BMW K75
http://timtyler.com  http://mototrek.net

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2019, 08:08 AM »
as an adult I'll wear what I like when on my bike. I will allow others to do the same  :028:

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2019, 12:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by TimTyler [+]
In the last ten years I have had a couple of slow speed spills and a bunch of tip-overs, both on and off-road. If it weren't for my armored outfits and boots I'd be a scraped-up middle-aged excuse for a man, probably with fractures.

When I was 25 I had a 20mph low-side and the foot peg ripped through my jeans and gouged out 5 inches of my leg. Good times.

My Aerostich is cheap insurance for the most common kinds of spills.

not talking off road.....different kettle of fish ..

as I said, I wear a sensible minimum, that includes textile jacket and Kevlar jeans....i'm not polarizing the issue into protection or not,  the main point I was making was the difference between impact and sliding crashes, the impact ones seem to be always forgotten when talking about protection, and I think lots of riders assume their protection will make them ok.... :027:.

at the end of the day, you look at the risks and decide for yourself what you are prepared for

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2019, 05:56 PM »
As you say Wal, there's not much you can do to protect yourself from hitting a wall/signpost/kerb except not coming off anywhere near the buggers.

I do think shorts and a T shirt on the A38 near Newton Abbot is just asking for trouble though. The breeze up the Peter Beardsley's must feel pretty nice though.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2019, 10:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
As you say Wal, there's not much you can do to protect yourself from hitting a wall/signpost/kerb except not coming off anywhere near the buggers.

I do think shorts and a T shirt on the A38 near Newton Abbot is just asking for trouble though. The breeze up the Peter Beardsley's must feel pretty nice though.

I tried shorts and T shirt on 1 day it was 38 degs in Switzerland, after less than a mile I turned around, went back and put gear on, just gave me the willies.... :008:

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2019, 04:49 AM »
I sometimes ride around town in (non-armored) jeans when it's really hot (as in Las Vegas hot, not English summers...).  I don't ride w/o a motorcycle jacket, gloves, boots and, obviously, a helmet.  OTOH, I am also well aware that sometimes even all the gear won't save you.  The right (or wrong) type of impact and you have a broken leg, arm, back, etc.  Shit happens.  Riding motorcycles is dangerous.   :22:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I hit a car almost head on at ~65mph, problem was he was doing the same coming the other way, I bounced off the car into the cab of a truck I'd been overtaking and then slid up the road with my bike on top of me.

I was wearing Bering CE marked textile jacket and trousers, full calf height boots, strong gloves (Kevlar knuckles) and a good Shoei helmet.

I suffered an open compound fracture to the Tibia and Fibula, with a secondary necrotising wound, long story short it's taken three years, seven operations, more opiates than Iggy Pop and a f***ton of antibiotics, but I still have my right leg, I can walk faster than most, without a limp and I lived to walk my daughter up the aisle and see my granddaughter (now 2 yr old).

I was walking round the house, on crutches (after coming out of hospital the first time) in my pants (like you do) and my wife could not believe that after a crash like that I had no other injuries, cuts, bruises, gravel rash, or any other marks of any kind anywhere on my body.

So, yes Wal, you can still get broken bones wearing good gear, but not to put too fine a point on it, bones heal, removing swathes of skin and grinding bones away is more tricky, that is if you don't die of shock first.

Everyone makes their own decisions in life, but you need to own those decisions and take responsibility for them, everything else is just excuses  :028:
Just passin' through