Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is this a terrible idea?  (Read 231 times)

Offline davidbg93

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2008 Versys
  • City / Town: Northampton
Is this a terrible idea?
« on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:16 AM »
My Versys is coming up to it's 50,000th mile (would be interested to hear if anyone can anyone beat that?) and the end of both tyres, all brake discs and pads, the fuel tank, downpipe, chain and sprockets... plus a handful of other minor things. It scraped through its MOT but realistically it's time for it to go soon and I don't really want to spend any more on it. I've got a trip up to Scotland and back planned for the end of the month, about 900 miles, almost all motorway miles.  It should do fine although I'm nervous about tyres. I've always run Bridgestone Battlax tyres on it which have always lasted really well, up to 13-14k miles but I'm down to around 2mm on the rear and I'm trying to do the maths on whether it will make the trip!

Please reassure me or tell me it's a stupid idea! I can't bear the thought of buying a new set of tyres for one trip up and down the M1. The alternative is I take my Hayabusa which has no luggage and no matter what anyone says, when you're 6ft 5, it is not a tourer!

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Is this a terrible idea?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:30 AM »
You have got some way to go as UralRob's Mk1 2007 is already at nearly 3 times your mileage without any problems  :biker1: :biker1:

Not sure how many more loaves of bread he is going out for  :008:

*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

My '08 is showing 228 000 km and is still in regular use. Only problem was a fuel pump dying on the road at 170 000 km, but the air temperature that day was over 40 c and was considered a contributing factor.

Solid bikes.

Rob.
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Rob

Correct me if I am wrong, but that distance is with you 16T front sprocket fitted so your true mileage is ~ 240,000 km / 150,000 miles  :031:
Also how many miles have you put on your M2 V650 and the Mk2 V1k now  :notsure:

PS - I think the rider is also wearing well  :38:
But Gustavo may disagree with this  :notsure:
Richard    :001: 

Offline davidbg93

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:43 AM »
wow that's good going... I consider myself beaten!

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:23 PM »

"My Versys is coming up to it's 50,000th mile (would be interested to hear if anyone can anyone beat that?)"

:4: :4: :4: :4:  See above.

Hmm, motorway speeds, loaded, one piece of debris, nail, heavy rain etc and you could be out much more than the cost of a pair of tires. Somewhere toward the far end of the daft spectrum.

btw, how does one wear out a fuel tank in 50 000 miles?  :lostit:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline davidbg93

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Not exactly sure on the fuel tank front, something to do with the air pipes I guess - when it's not running the pressure in the tank builds up and it makes a strange whistling noise when the pressure gets too high as the air tries to escape - if you open the filler cap the sound can be like opening a can of fizzy drink. My local guy has had a go at clearing out the pipes but it doesn't seem to have helped. It doesn't seem to affect it running at the moment but I once owned a GPZ with a similar issue and the result would be the pressure gets too high and the fuel stops flowing and the engine stops... not ideal.

Big respect for 150k miles, good effort! It makes me sad seeing so many bikes with <15k miles on them at 15 years old.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:43 PM »

The whistling noise is pressure build up escaping through the vent in the filler cap and is the result of the fuel expanding and contracting with temperature change.
 All seven of the Kawasakis I have owned have done it, and it is widely reported on the forums. It's perfectly normal and harmless unless the venting channels in the cap were to become totally blocked. So long as it's whistling they aren't blocked.
 Worst case scenario a new filler cap rather than a new tank.

Rob.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2019, 12:47 PM by uralrob »
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by davidbg93 [+]
Not exactly sure on the fuel tank front, something to do with the air pipes I guess - when it's not running the pressure in the tank builds up and it makes a strange whistling noise when the pressure gets too high as the air tries to escape - if you open the filler cap the sound can be like opening a can of fizzy drink.
David

That is normal for all the V650's -  both my V650 and V1k start whistling /  singing to me if they are left out in the sun  :008:

Its if you get a vacuum in the tank you have to start to worry as that will cause fuel starvation  :33:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:54 PM »
I bet changing bikes costs more than the reapiars but if you want a new bike you want a new bike and I would probably talk myself into it the same way
Nothing wrong with your tank as others have said.

ROB13 late of this parish did approx 120K miles in 3 years with  just a couple of minor niggles.
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2019, 02:23 PM »
David.  You are almost certain to fit new tyres before you sell the bike, so just fit some new ones now and get the benefit, and the peace of mind  from them on your Scottish trip.

Avon Storm 3D XMs,  great tyres, and about 150 quid a pair.    Hope that you enjoy Scotland, and good luck with the weather.  :152:

What would you rather be, or a wasp?