Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Norfolk 'summer' bike camping 2019  (Read 310 times)

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Norfolk 'summer' bike camping 2019
« on: Aug 14, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Avoiding the rain = hitting the grit

Well folks, the weather across almost the entire British Isles was an utter disaster for the planned weekend (9-11 August 2019) so my eldest brother Shay (who hasn't camped in over 25 years), mate Marcus (pretty boy, new Honda Africa Twin) and I decided to go where the weather was least worst...which turned out to be Norfolk, the almost precise opposite of our planned trip to Wales. No mountains, no reservoirs, no sheep and about as far from Wales as you can get without leaving England.

On the upside the weather stayed mostly dry but the wind was almost gale force and with little in the way of hills to slow it down we had to fully peg down the tents to avoid a Dorothy moment.

After meeting up at the Iron Horse Cafe in Market Deeping, which is a pricey American Diner type place with a bit of biking paraphenelia and pretty good baby-back ribs we made our way across the bleak, flat as a pancake Fenlands around Peterborough towards Norfolk. Little in the way of corners and the closest thing to the empty plains of mid west America as there is in the UK. With an abundance of hypnotised caravaners, over-loaded agricultural transports and frustrated Audis we had to keep on our toes, making gradual progress mostly by long overtakes and lots of filtering through queues approaching roundabouts. This area is not biking country.

With it being Friday afternoon mid school holidays, once we had passed Kings Lyn and started to hit more interesting roads we started seeing more and more of the rushing Londoners trying to get a last minute break in. The standard of driving dropped further and the need for our intercoms to help each other safely pass traffic became more and more vital.

Eventually we arrived at the site, a bit disappointed by the ride in but all giggly about the weekend feeling that we'd cheated the system as we experience a beautiful dry evening.

We even had time to pop down to Whitley and Reepham station to experience a Norfolk bike night. Suffice it to say that the highlights were a hand polished Norton cafe racer and a Suzuki-engined Harris-framed street fighter. The downside was a compete lack of burger van so back to the town of Holt for a dirty kebab, eaten in a bus shelter as we caught the only rain of the weekend.

Friday route - https://goo.gl/maps/TMeXjBBJTKzpTY1C7

:biker1:

Saturday's original plan was to do the northern and eastern section of the coastal road, stop at A11 cafe south of Norwich and then make our way westward to Lizzies place at Sandringham before completing the coastal loop before getting the beers and bangers in for a campside evening. We only really got the latter done as I will explain.

As told, the Friday traffic was not great and on Saturday morning had improved little. Added to that the Norfolk council had gritted the roads a few weeks before so there was lots of grit on most corners, with the added benefit of busy tractors (some of the size of Thunderbird 5) leaving dirty gallops of oomshka at random points plus a very high wind blowing sand and dust across the road...with 40mph plus winds bursting through gaps in the hedges sending us across the width of the lane. This made for interesting riding to say the least. So muggins here decided to make a random stop for a coastal photo opportunity, which turned out to be a sandy single lane with an off camber ramp/turning point at the end...end result our kid took a theatrical dismount off his 300kg Beemer. Let me tell you, picking those things up hurts almost as much as falling off one.

Saturday morning route - https://goo.gl/maps/CzY5Lo8vWy3tQ7pc9

So, we took Shay back to the site to recuperate, privately shed tears over the ridiculous amount of panel damage such a small drop had caused and to find a cat to kick. Marcus and I then took off along the coast road westwards to Hunstanton.

The coastal road has the potential to be fairly epic but with villages, speed restrictions and caravans it ended up being a bimble more than a blast and the few sections that opened up a bit were disrupted by old ladies pulling out in front of us. We stopped at Hunstanton for a cuppa and a slice before making our way back to the site inland.

After a more enjoyable cross country ride, due to the inland roads being quieter and the generally better conditions (although there was the usual random pile of grit, poo and communists at random places) we arrive at the site loaded with meat and drink for an evening of banter. Turns out Shay being on site for the afternoon was a blessing as my tent nearly lost a few pegs and I might have ended up top and tailing with Marcus as well as looking for a new tent on Amazon.

Saturday afternoon route - https://goo.gl/maps/Hu5oozz4tpLvEz697

We had the pleasure of a glorious sunset and toddled off for a kip, hoping the tents remained attached to the ground and our bikes stayed upright. Woke early next day to see a fantastic sunrise.

Tents packed and bikes loaded by mid morning so time for a breakfast before making our way back. The return to our various homes turned out to be more eventful than the planned Saturday route; I stopped a road rage scrap between two cockneys, came upon the immediate aftermath of a 3 car example of extreme parking (all three in a roadside Cotswold wood with one on its roof) and Marcus almost got taken out by a Polish VW golf who decide to drift across her lane to get a closer look at his fancy (but useless) crash bars.

All in all, not the weekend we planned but plenty to enjoy. Norfolk is not the biker heaven I thought it might be, especially during peak season traffic. It is however worth seeing if only for the unique landscape and to test your technical riding skills.

Weekend - 7/10  :028:
Road conditions - 4/10  :125:
Traffic - 3/10  :192:
Banter - 9/10  :031:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Norfolk 'summer' bike camping 2019
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2019, 07:19 PM »
 :008: :152: :028:
Its a place I keep kepts meaning to poodle around

Sounds like a bit of craic anyway
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2019, 07:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
:008: :152: :028:
Its a place I keep kepts meaning to poodle around

Sounds like a bit of craic anyway
Cheers Clunky, it was a laugh...even the dodgy road conditions had us in stitches at some points. One one of the more ridiculous slippy corners Marcus reckoned he'd just ran over some white supremacists, Shay though they were communists and I thought/hoped they were EU commissioners. It certainly tested out his spunky new Africa Twin.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Nice ride report, short but sweet.

Sorry your mate dropped his bike, that sucks especially being a big BMW!

Glad everyone was ok and no injuries.

I loved the rating system, I think it should be applied to all ride reports from now on!

We go to Norfolk every other year for a short holiday but in the cage with wife and kids in tow. I've often wondered what a bike trip to the area would be like. You're right the scenery is better than the roads really, there are some nicer roads but you really have to go looking and there usually used by farm traffic all year round.

Good idea to beat the weather and I admire the versatility of camping, must admit it looks like fun!
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2019, 11:13 AM »

Since banter rates the highest you could have saved yourself a bundle by meeting up at your place for the week end  :whistle:.

Sorry about the roads and wind, 'tho.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Looks like it was an exciting weekend and I'm glad no one was injured after the off.Great pics as well glad you enjoyed it
Jim

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Nice write up  :031: :031: and good on you for being flexible with the route too. Those big tourers do not crash well at all, did he have any crash protection on it ?

Re busy summer roads, even in darkest West Wales I have thought several times this year that it is better riding in the Spring and Autumn...sort of Goldie Locks times....not too busy and not too cold.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Honet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2019, 01:55 AM »

"...it is better riding in the Spring and Autumn...sort of Goldie Locks times....not too busy and not too cold."

Certainly true here  :028:.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2019, 12:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Nice write up  :031: :031: and good on you for being flexible with the route too. Those big tourers do not crash well at all, did he have any crash protection on it ?

Re busy summer roads, even in darkest West Wales I have thought several times this year that it is better riding in the Spring and Autumn...sort of Goldie Locks times....not too busy and not too cold.
Hey Bart, great to hear from you.

Yes he did have crash protection. No it did not drop well (not a crash as there was no speed involved). Pannier cover, speaker panel, fancy decal (No 6 in chrome plastic) on the engine block, indicator surround all scratched. Don't even want to guess what the cost of replacement panels would be.

As for autumn (my favourite) and spring, it seems to me that for several years now August in the UK has been a wash out. September and June seem much more predictable for planned rides.