Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Insurance Write off - MKIII 2017 GT. Should I buy it back off them??  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Matthewleehood123

• Versys Pro
  • “Never tell me the odds!”
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Naaaarwich
HI All, Long time no post!

I had a lovely gentleman decide to pull a U-turn across the road last week without indicating or looking! Such FUN! fortunately I was able to avoid him as best as I could and only hit the front quarter panel. I didn't thisn the damage to the bike was too bad. Hole in the rad, Broken front fog, a couple of panels cracked and the foot rest/gear leaver snapped off but all in all I thought it would be repairable... Apparently, I was wrong.....

Its been deemed a Cat B write off due to frame damage. The bile is a 2017 Grand Tourer and has done 12,000miles. fully serviced and had the extended 4 year warrantee.

The insurance company are offering me £5,032.00 for the bike which I don't think is enough. the cheapest I can find on Auto Trader of a similar age/milage is £6,399.00. However, they have also offered the return of the written off bike for £1,400 and I was wondering if you all thought that was a decent offer? almost every other part of the bike is in good condition, would I be able to break it up and get more than that for the parts?

Anywhoo, your advice is appreciated!

Many Thanks and Stay Safe,

Matt :biker1: :biker1: :biker1:
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2019, 02:20 PM by Matthewleehood123 »

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
First stop is to debate their offer of less than £6k.

IMO if they offered a buy back of £1.4k from a basic offer of £6k, ie. you get £4.6k cash and your bent bike back, then I would go for it but only if you are going to ride that bike until it dies. The devaluation of being a Cat B write off means it's basically worthless on the second hand market even after you've fixed it up.

If you're not interested in that, then I would not buy it back on a basic offer of £5k as you will only get £3.6k cash which will probably not cover the repayments for original purchase.

You could break it for parts and get more than £1.4k but then you're doing all the hard work to cover the gap left by the insurers not giving you what you paid for it. Take some legal advice if they don't improve their offer. Make sure you maximise your claim agains the offending driver by claiming for all clothing, injuries, lost time, distress etc. Not your fault so no way should you be out of pocket.

Offline Matthewleehood123

• Versys Pro
  • “Never tell me the odds!”
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Naaaarwich
Thanks Jonnster,

I have no finance on the bike so repayments aren't an issue. I 'm definitely going to fight the value and am hoping for around 6K as you say.

I was really lucky in the crash and nothing apart from the bike was damaged, managed to keep her upright and got my body parts out of the way so no injuries! can you ride a Cat B on the road? I didn't think you'd get insurance?

Cheers,

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
*Originally Posted by Matthewleehood123 [+]
Thanks Jonnster,

I have no finance on the bike so repayments aren't an issue. I 'm definitely going to fight the value and am hoping for around 6K as you say.

I was really lucky in the crash and nothing apart from the bike was damaged, managed to keep her upright and got my body parts out of the way so no injuries! can you ride a Cat B on the road? I didn't think you'd get insurance?

Cheers,
Ah yes, just checked, sorry my bad. No you can't re-register a Cat B. Must have been pretty serious frame damage or an overly diligent assessor. Very surprised they Cat D'd it given you didn't even hit the floor. Given that fact then I would expect a much lower resell price to you as the frame and panels are assumed worthless so the engine, suspension components and maybe some of the electrics are the only valuable parts.

I'd still give them a chance to come back with something sensible before a legal challenge. I assume your insurance has legal cost coverage, so unleash the hounds. Their offer is a piss take.

Online Firstforward

• Versys Pro
  • Watton, Norfolk
Just seen one for £5,699 with 12K miles, so their offer to you is low. Who is the insurance company?

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
never accept the first offer
ever!
if you get the bike back and break it I will buy the top yoke and bar risers
swing arm is £350 all day long and engine should net you the rest of your £1400 easily
wheels and tyres a couple of hundred
brakes another £150 to £200
full set of locks/keys and ecu will be £250
is the tank damaged? another couple of hundred
it all mounts up

I will definitely buy the top yoke!!

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
PS - your time sorted out this nonsense is also claimable.

Calculate your daily rate, multiply it by how much time you have to spend on stuff like this and add it to the bill. They'll say no but if they don't move you have a record of this stuff which the solicitors can have fun with when they counter claim against them.

Just because you're tougher than the average victim doesn't mean you're not entitled to something.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
To what degree is the frame damaged  :question: Whereabouts on the frame did the damage occur .  Can't imagine that the frame can be bent in a crash where you didn't even come off the bike  :027:.

If indeed the frame is damaged, I would just hassle them for a realistic settlement figure and just walk away. However, if the damage to the frame is say a bent bracket  :question: :027: , I would say that it is worth having back. Then just buy the bits that you need to make it whole again, then with a decent settlement figure you will have the cheapest bike in the world.  :152:.

I would be asking for a detailed checklist of all the damage.    THEN DECIDE.   Good luck.  :002:
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2019, 05:58 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
To what degree is the frame damaged  :question: Whereabouts on the frame did the damage occur .  Can't imagine that the frame can be bent in a crash where you didn't even come off the bike  :027:.

If indeed the frame is damaged, I would just hassle them for a realistic settlement figure and just walk away. However, if the damage to the frame is say a bent bracket  :question: :027: , I would say that it is worth having back. Then just buy the bits that you need to make it whole again, then with a decent settlement figure you will have the cheapest bike in the world.  :152:.

I would be asking for a detailed checklist of all the damage.    THEN DECIDE.   Good luck.  :002:
any impact marks on the frame even a paint scuff will be logged as damage an be cat b no questions

Offline Sabresdad

• Versys Member
  • Bike: mk1 versys 650
  • City / Town: NorthumberlandX
Unfortunately the change in classifications of damage to vehicles was really aimed at cars/vans etc and bikes are a bit of an add on, the rules state that chassis damage means  it is written off ie a bent chassis on a truck or damage to a  monocoque chassis on a car  .

But it means on a bike even if it is a damaged bolt on sub frame that has taken a hit it will be written off