Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: wind noise  (Read 1146 times)

Offline mallywoods

• Versys Member
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Dereham Norfolk
wind noise
« on: Aug 20, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Hi all once again, Is it me with my 2017 650 who find the wind noise almost unbearable , I have a full face helmet and have to wear ear protection, I also have the screen in its highest position, Its driving me crazy and almost don't want to ride it.. any ideas please...please....please ....please... :023:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
Re: wind noise
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2019, 09:59 PM »
 Erm!!!!   Try the screen in its lowest position.  That works for me.   :027:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2019, 10:02 PM »
You obviously need a different screen. There are many options and would be a costly exercise to buy to try them all.
Do some research into the different screens, and if I may suggest it, into better earplugs.
If the sound is that annoying to you then you need more isolation from it and the easiest way is better earplugs.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline barold99

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: liverpool
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2019, 10:43 PM »
I had similar issues with the stock screen. Im 6ft2 &it puts turbulent air and wind around my lid on all positions.

I tried the givi screen which works ok but is massive. I look through the screen rather than over it. Its not ideal in windy conditions either.

I also bought another stock screen from ebay & cut it down. This actually works quite well for me. Obviously not as much protection but I had no noticeable turbulence or buffeting. It doesnt quite suit the lines of the bike though and my cutting skills need improvement ha. I still put it on occasionally if the weathers gonna be decent.

I re-drilled the holes on an mra vario touring screen I had from my old mark one versys & fitted that. I had it on for nearly a year.
That was a compromise between protection & buffetting. I think I just got used to it in the end and I eventually got the vario mk3 version which is on now.

Ideally i think small is the way to go. the stock screen is already quite small but  could do with being a couple of inches shorter. like i said above cutting it down doesnt look quite right.

Ive had numerous screens over my mk1 and this mk 3 versys and none of them are perfect. Ive even tried adjustable brackets. I see posts on numerous forums & lots of people have the same issues, although a few do find a setup where they are happy. I think its worse if your tall & earplugs are a must.
I try to find a happy medium now and stick with that.  :152:

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2019, 12:16 AM »
Try different earplugs, or a different lid perhaps.

For me, earplugs always. Screen at lowest setting so turbulence is at about neck height (i'm 6'3"). It's no worse than being on a naked bike then - only the lid is causing wind noise, the bike has little effect in such circumstances.

Online Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Iím 5í10Ē and donít even notice the wind so maybe itís related to the riderís height. Ear plugs are a must if you donít want to damage your hearing, I prefer the ĎLaserí foam ones. Buy a big bag because I think that they loose their efficacy after a while. I ride the same bike as you, by the way, but I do remember that my KTM was shockingly noisy above 40mph.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 AM »
When I get too much wind noise I try to lift one cheek a little and relax to allow everything to pass smoothly.
If am am tensed up and the cheeks are tight then a high whistling noise is usually the result.

I may have only read the topic heading on no other details but I cannot think that this is related to anything else.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2019, 11:44 AM »
I think you addressed all the salient points, Stewie!

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2019, 12:50 PM »

A lot depends on the end can. I find a a short sharp burst, something like a Maxim gun, less wearing than the high whistling noise of a gopher in heat.
 It also helps to have the cat out,

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:10 PM »
My only advice is to beware of a shart.