Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mk4...What and When??  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Mk4...What and When??
« on: Sep 03, 2019, 05:03 AM »
Just for fun...

Thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about the possibility or inevitability of there being a Versys 650 Mk4.  :37:

Two questions:
When do you think it'll arrive?

And

What do you think it will include either as standard or optional extras?

Bonus question...Do you think Kawasaki will include an SE version, in line with current new bike trends??

Have a go, the closest when the bike is announced wins bragging rights  :38: :007: :020:

I think we will be looking at a new V 650 launched in time for the Summer 2020 riding season.
Considering the offer's Kawasaki have thrown out this year, I think there trying to clear stock.

I do think there will be an SE version.
Kawasaki have introduced it to the big V and I see them introducing this system across the range of top selling bikes.

The SE will see the V1k's semi-active suspension added along with the TFT dash and connectivity.

Standard will keep the standard suspension but hopefully include a TFT dash with maybe less functions than the SE but I'd like to see cruise control added to both as standard. I think its the only thing missing from my Mk3.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
Re: Mk4...What and When??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2019, 10:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Just for fun...

Thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about the possibility or inevitability of there being a Versys 650 Mk4.  :37:

Two questions:
When do you think it'll arrive?

And

What do you think it will include either as standard or optional extras?

Bonus question...Do you think Kawasaki will include an SE version, in line with current new bike trends??

Have a go, the closest when the bike is announced wins bragging rights  :38: :007: :020:

I think we will be looking at a new V 650 launched in time for the Summer 2020 riding season.
Considering the offer's Kawasaki have thrown out this year, I think there trying to clear stock.

I do think there will be an SE version.
Kawasaki have introduced it to the big V and I see them introducing this system across the range of top selling bikes.

The SE will see the V1k's semi-active suspension added along with the TFT dash and connectivity.

Standard will keep the standard suspension but hopefully include a TFT dash with maybe less functions than the SE but I'd like to see cruise control added to both as standard. I think its the only thing missing from my Mk3.
   Mmmm  ,  good shout.    I don't think that the little Versys will continue in its present form. So I don't think that there will be a MK4

I suspect that the big K will have been working on something that will be all new. It could be a bigger engine, or a 3 cylinder configuration. But I will go with a 8 or 9 hundred cc twin.

I don't see the new bike coming in SE spec, nor do I see it having electronic suspension.

I can't see Kawasaki coming in with a new model with every conceivable latest gizmo either, after all that would give them nowhere to go with a future MK2 version.

Another thought is, let's be careful what we wish for!!!  An all new bike, with all the latest gadgets and gizmos will more than likely cost somewhere in the region of 12 grand. Which would make it over 4 grand more expensive than the current top of the range MK3 GT.

Also, don't forget that the current market trend is for retro style bikes. Bikes that have none of the latest must have !! latest spec, such as electronic suspension, TFT displays, cruise control and cornering lights.

The little Versys has been a great seller for Kawasaki, as has the KLR 650 ( but not in the UK). So maybe something of a mix and match of those two may just tickle the fancy of prospective new buyers.

Or what about the little Versys with the Z800 engine, coupled with slightly more substantial dimensions to the frame. Top quality suspension, and an upright comfortable riding position.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, mother Kawasaki come up with. If indeed they come up with anything at all.  :027:
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2019, 10:51 AM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V650 Mk3
  • City / Town: Wallasey
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2019, 12:18 PM »
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2019, 02:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Catsick [+]
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
We are not suggesting that the 650 Versys is broke.   But Kawasaki cannot keep making this bike forever, they build new bikes for one purpose only, and that purpose is to generate sales of new machines.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2019, 02:47 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V650 Mk3
  • City / Town: Wallasey
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 03:31 PM »
True, there's only so long a design can carry on before we get a major upgrade. Would like to see LED lights being used on new versions, maybe aluminium frames, any weight saving due to any weight gained due to future emissions regulations.

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2019, 04:15 PM »
a 750 version, with about 85hp, giving it slightly longer legs, basic ABS and TC, .......then leave it alone..... :211: and i'd have one...

its been engaging enough to hold its own for years, doesn't need much more imo, theres nothing similar, its in a useful niche for people who want an ordinary , good all rounder without all the doodads, that still delivers the essence of good riding

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2019, 05:31 PM »

The 650 is fairly young by Kawi standards.

The Mk 1 KLR ran from '86 to '05, all but 20 years, and the Mk2  KLR, basically the same bike with a different skin, added another 13 years to it.
  The Mk1 ZG1000 Concours also ran for about 20 years before the C14, a totally different bike, was introduced.

The V650 was first available in '07 iirc, and was somewhat revolutionary at the time. It seems quite possible that Kawi will either continue it without significant change or price increase, or that, as has been suggested, they'll come up with an X version to fill the KLR hole. Something between the current 650 and the V300.

To upgrade/upsize the current 650 is to go nose to nose with the successful Tracer family and the various iterations of BMW/Triumph. Could be a difficult market to crack.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Wal, you say there is nothing similar but what about the Tracer 700, a direct copy of ever there was one. Kawasaki definitely got it right with the original Versys concept, and have developed it nicely along the way. I would like to see it lose a bit of weight, better suspension and a few more ponies, shouldn't cost them too much and would keep it close to the original design brief.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2019, 05:39 PM by Onslowe »
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2019, 06:51 PM »
As Wal and Onslowe say between them, slightly bigger engine and less weight with quality suspension. Stuff the gadgets.

I wonder if it'll stay as a 180 crank  :notsure:  Hope so.
More tea, no biscuits

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2019, 08:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
Wal, you say there is nothing similar but what about the Tracer 700, a direct copy of ever there was one. Kawasaki definitely got it right with the original Versys concept, and have developed it nicely along the way. I would like to see it lose a bit of weight, better suspension and a few more ponies, shouldn't cost them too much and would keep it close to the original design brief.

yep, forgot about the Tracer 700,  :028: