Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mk4...What and When??  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Re: Mk4...What and When??
« Reply #40 on: Sep 14, 2019, 06:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Craigasaki [+]
Maybe they'll do a bigger-bore motor for the Versys so it'll carry it's weight better  :027:

As for all the electronics, i got a bit more depressed this week with Ducati's intent to be the first with radar-controlled cruise-control on a bike. It's
going beyond the pale now, what will be left for us to do.

Good letter in MCN from a bloke telling of the 'issues' with car versions of the above  :033:

We too will become victims of the 'NannyState' too soon  :019:

good news is that the Versys is so far behind the big boys in terms of fancy tech, you can probably be sure Kawasaki won't fit it until we're all  too old to care  :008:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #41 on: Oct 21, 2019, 07:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Just for fun...

Thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about the possibility or inevitability of there being a Versys 650 Mk4.  :37:

Two questions:
When do you think it'll arrive?

And

What do you think it will include either as standard or optional extras?

Bonus question...Do you think Kawasaki will include an SE version, in line with current new bike trends??

Have a go, the closest when the bike is announced wins bragging rights  :38: :007: :020:

I think we will be looking at a new V 650 launched in time for the Summer 2020 riding season.
Considering the offer's Kawasaki have thrown out this year, I think there trying to clear stock.

I do think there will be an SE version.
Kawasaki have introduced it to the big V and I see them introducing this system across the range of top selling bikes.

The SE will see the V1k's semi-active suspension added along with the TFT dash and connectivity.

Standard will keep the standard suspension but hopefully include a TFT dash with maybe less functions than the SE but I'd like to see cruise control added to both as standard. I think its the only thing missing from my Mk3.

My 2p worth.

They already have a winner as the bike stands. Its lack of 'sophistication' whilst having enough useful features eg ABS, adjustable suspension account for its appeal.

Real value for money and enough bang for your buck.
In truth do you really need more from an all rounder ?
TFT screens and ESA are nice touches but they are just 'Bling' really. I have a 'summer' bike with both and I'm not in the least bit tempted to take it out instead of the Versys.

So I hope they leave the cc's as they are, the extras for owners to add as they require and the price as it is.

Happy riding  :031:
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #42 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Some modern features that look like premiums are actually simplification and cost saving for the manufacturer. Like the single color display instead of "analog" tach and/or speedo. Those physical needle things have complicated stepper motors in them, the whole assembly is a separate precision unit to design and manufacture. Whereas on a display, it is only a matter of software to have anything displayed and visualized. If I'm not mistaken, those colorful smartphone-like single displays are true OLED monitors, not custom LCD displays with built-in static images. Meaning, it is ever more simple to design, manufacture, update and fix bugs.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 08:06 PM by jkristjan »

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Is the saving in the bits the tft connects to as Tiger explorer clocks are somewhat cheaper to buy compared with Tiger explorer TFT screens ?
Not an argument, just a 'not particularly knowledgeable' observation.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #44 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:50 PM »
How the manufacturer's savings carry over to what is charged from the customer is another topic. Plus new technology is always more expensive in the beginning, the real savings begin when they have ended the manufacturing of all those clocks and put a small variety of similar screens on a large variety of bikes. And in a broader sense, the same or similar screens also go on excavators, washing machines and dump trucks. The economy of scale. Once it has all been unified and streamlined instead of specific pieces for specific products to visualize one single numeric value.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 08:51 PM by jkristjan »

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
How the manufacturer's savings carry over to what is charged from the customer is another topic. Plus new technology is always more expensive in the beginning, the real savings begin when they have ended the manufacturing of all those clocks and put a small variety of similar screens on a large variety of bikes. And in a broader sense, the same or similar screens also go on excavators, washing machines and dump trucks. The economy of scale. Once it has all been unified and streamlined instead of specific pieces for specific products to visualize one single numeric value.
I suppose so.
I get a multitude of ways I can configure the way the TFT screen provides the information, good thing with my eyesight !
Ultimately I am probably a generation behind the direction of technology as I am comfortable with analogue clocks. Not complicated, just provide the information you really need. FFS I remember when a clock on your binnacle was groundbreaking !
Maybe the retro revolution down to a lot of us crusty old buggers reminiscing...

Offline Clubpenguin

• Versys Pro
  • hyde
  • Bike: versys grand
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #46 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Leave the bike alone and update the seat!!!!!!
Biggest complaint of any modern bike is a sore arse.
chris and keeley

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #47 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Clubpenguin [+]
+1 to that.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2019, 02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clubpenguin [+]

That's generally because the arse's are getting older and need more padding  :015: :008: :008: :008:

Same as the clocks getting bigger or TFT, eyesight is getting worse  :whistle: :008:

Ktrac will filter down to these lower capacity bikes as a matter of principle I think and that will probably be it for the standard model.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>