Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Oil level, but not what you think.  (Read 668 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: Oil level, but not what you think.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:40 AM »
I don't know how that's connected to the current topic but what I wanted to point out is the technical aspect that the oil sucked from the sump is pushed through the filter first and then goes to the engine; so potential one-off freak-debris in the sump does not harm the engine. Especially with wet clutch motorcycle engines, mind you that all the clutch and transmission pieces are meant to flow around in the bottom of the engine.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
the oil has just been changed, I'm reluctant to throw away perfectly good oil
I'd still be tempted to change it, if you do want to reuse it then at least pass it through a filter/ strainer/ Nora Batty's tights first  :001:

*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
as to what caused the damage; being T-boned by a ford fiesta will do that.
Yeah, I was meaning more what actually made contact with the casing, a part of the car, or the engine bars ?
I was T-boned on my first Versys by a Transit Connect builder's van, but that was written off due to having been punted off up the road while I sailed through the air in a more perpendicular trajectory  :006:
Just passin' through

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
I don't know how that's connected to the current topic but what I wanted to point out is the technical aspect that the oil sucked from the sump is pushed through the filter first and then goes to the engine; so potential one-off freak-debris in the sump does not harm the engine. Especially with wet clutch motorcycle engines, mind you that all the clutch and transmission pieces are meant to flow around in the bottom of the engine.

It goes through a strainer first that takes the lumps out and dumps them back into the sump, the filter is then able to clean out the very fine particles, fit a magnetic sump plug to see what's left rattling about in the sump grinding up the lower engine parts, draining and binning the oil is intended to get rid of these bits  :028:
Just passin' through

Online Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys tourer
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2019, 05:16 PM »
FYI, you can remove the clutch cover without dropping the oil on the sidestand, didn't even drip, stuck on the new (ER6) casing and a new clutch cable while there; also found after market Z900 adjuster blocks that house the bobbins.