Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: front sprocket solid  (Read 705 times)

Offline Grahame5161

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
front sprocket solid
« on: Oct 05, 2019, 04:01 PM »
tried to change front sprocket on my 2016 versys 650, wont budge. took it to my local garage and he couldnt get it off either using impact driver. anyone got ideas

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: front sprocket solid
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2019, 04:39 PM »
not recommending it, but i got mine off with a 8inch blunt cold chisel and big hammer....wouldn't budge other ways...

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grahame5161 [+]
tried to change front sprocket on my 2016 versys 650, wont budge. took it to my local garage and he couldnt get it off either using impact driver. anyone got ideas
I took mine to a very good motorcycle mechanic he tried impact gun & heat torch no joy after one hour
only melted rubber from back of sprocket, I took his advice and took my angle grinder to the nut.
Very slowly & carefully took the larger inner part of the nut down to the same dimensions as the
smaller outer end, taking care not to go anywhere near the threads on the shaft.
Got the nut the same on all sides and it came of with just a socket & 12" bar.
 The mechanic I used said it is a regular job for him on Kawasaki bikes the first time the
sprocket comes off, he also said it you can't get it off once the nut has been reduced
use a dremel or similar small cutting disc to score a channel down one side of the nut
starting at the outer end so you can gauge how deep to go to not touch the threads on the shaft.
Once you have a decent channel cut use a flat screwdriver or small chisel to open the channel.Regards
Hope this helps it sounds daunting but with patience and care it is easy ( I did it) so it must be.
Good luck, Harry.

Offline bob

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 versys
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:51 PM »
put a heat gun on mine ,then impact driver came off no probs would not budge till then

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2019, 10:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by bob [+]
put a heat gun on mine ,then impact driver came off no probs would not budge till then

This should do it  :002:

With a rattle-gun wedging the chain/sprocket wi a sturdy rag to take away any movement makes a big difference too (in gear obviously), good luck.
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Sabresdad

• Versys Member
  • Bike: mk1 versys 650
  • City / Town: NorthumberlandX
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:56 PM »
On mine a 1/2" socket set with a breaker bar was a no go,  1/2" socket socket on cordless impact gun a no go, 1/2" drive socket on windy gun no go , 3/4 " drive socket on 3/4 " drive windy gun again no go

In the end had someone on the bike applying the rear brake and a bar between the swinging arm and the wheel and then using a 3/4" drive socket on a 24" inch extension bar which was inserted into a 4 foot length of scaffold pipe with 14 stone on the end of it eventually got the little b*gger undone

Good luck

Offline Grahame5161

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2019, 10:17 AM »
thanks for your advice, not lookin forward to this procedure

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Hold a constant pressure on it with a long wrench and tap with a relatively small hammer at the same time (easier to do with two people), with the aid of a punch or similar metal rod (to aim the hammer hits better). Low tech method that beats the high tech impact gun.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:18 AM »

So you tap the socket rather than the far end of the handle?

This is a new one on me.

:028:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]
So you tap the socket rather than the far end of the handle?

You tap the nut. Not to be confused with any of your own personal nuts, those nuts you better keep away from that work. And once those are out of the way, you tap the nut that is locking the sprocket. On a more serious note, you need a certain kind of sharp and medium strength taps, hence the smallish hammer. A big old yank with a 5 pound jackhammer is not good, because the force of the yank jams the threads together on its own. But repeated sharp shock waves through the material create a situation sooner or later where the threads can't quite bond because the vibration is kind of lifting the surface of one material from the surface of the other material. And then with torque applied it suddenly opens as if some magical switch was flipped. It is one of those borderline esoteric skills like detecting a cold solder joint by eye. There is method in the madness but you develop it by experience, it will never work 100% and even if someone can do it 99%, they can't quite explain how they do it.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2019, 09:16 PM by jkristjan »