Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Manzanar  (Read 2245 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Manzanar
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2019, 02:37 PM »

That last photo is exceptional. Very glad that the RED  bike still wears well. Your taste remains impeccable :2: :2: .

Like Ted, happy memories.
 Dropped my keys down inside the fairing of the Concours in Tonopah one hot Sunday morning  and on the same day discovered that Warm Springs has neither fuel nor inhabitants :015: .

:028: :028:

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2019, 05:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Siberman [+]
Iím just trying to work out why these great pictures look so odd. Is it the absence of other traffic?

What do you mean no traffic?  Didn't you see that looong line of cars behind the RV?     :whistle:

Yes, there isn't a lot of traffic where I go riding.  Not to say no traffic at all, but you don't see that many cars/RVs on the good roads.  Good thing too, because you may have noticed that they are mostly double yellow lines end to end, meaning you can legally pass in very few places.  The good thing is that it seems a lot of people here are starting to get a clue and move over so you can pass them easily.  :028:   

But, you still run into drivers who can't keep up with the speed limit (let alone a motorcycle speed) through those twisty sections but don't think they are holding anybody up, even when there is a long line of cars behind them.   :125:

On sections like US-95 through Beatty and into Las Vegas there is a lot of traffic.  Obviously, those sections are major roads that link cities, so you have both car and large truck traffic.  I didn't take pictures of that.  I didn't think it was that interesting for you guys.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
What do you mean no traffic?  Didn't you see that looong line of cars behind the RV?     :whistle:

Yes, there isn't a lot of traffic where I go riding.  Not to say no traffic at all, but you don't see that many cars/RVs on the good roads.  Good thing too, because you may have noticed that they are mostly double yellow lines end to end, meaning you can legally pass in very few places.  The good thing is that it seems a lot of people here are starting to get a clue and move over so you can pass them easily.  :028:   

But, you still run into drivers who can't keep up with the speed limit (let alone a motorcycle speed) through those twisty sections but don't think they are holding anybody up, even when there is a long line of cars behind them.   :125:

Iíve got to get myself out there!  So much space. Whatís that? No tea! Shortage of ice cream!  Ah, maybe next year, Iíve still got the bathroom to decorate.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Got to learn how to reply properly too.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2019, 12:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Siberman [+]
Iíve got to get myself out there!  So much space. Whatís that? No tea! Shortage of ice cream!  Ah, maybe next year, Iíve still got the bathroom to decorate.

Yesterday I rode to Astoria for tea (ooops, sorry, something else, there is no tea here...   :whistle:).  Once I got off the main roads I saw about 8 cars going in the same direction in the ~75 miles it takes to get there from Scappoose, where you get off the main highway.  Astoria is 70 miles as the crow flies from of Portland OR, not in the middle of the desert, is a fairly good size town and popular weekend destination.  It's just that most people take the main highways to the coast, leaving the good back roads for motorcycles to enjoy sans traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/g26y8fG3mEPgbAAw9

There will be a pretty good destination for next year's IVM you may want to consider the opportunity to make that your motorcycling vacation...   :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 01:02 AM by Gustavo »

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2019, 01:56 AM »
This was on the news program I usually watch last week.  Thought it would be interesting to see this from the perspective of a kid that went through one of the internment camps:

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2019, 01:02 AM »

Excellent post.

Thank you very much.

Rob.

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2019, 12:59 PM »
If only I had more money and time  :003:
Spectacular scenery!

Photos do seem to suggest miles of straightness with the occasional twisty bits...

Thanks for sharing G
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Yes, the desert southwest has a lot of straight-ish roads.  Big spaces, big distances and not a lot of obstacles to drawing the shortest line between to points.  Even where there are obstacles, unless they are really tall mountains passes (as there are in Death Valley), it's easy to draw gentle arcs around them that allow traffic to keep its speed.  I prefer the roads further north (or south or west or...  :015:), where the mountains are closer together and the roads are a lot twistier. 

Someone was asking about good rides around Las Vegas on ADVRider.  I summarized the situation like this - there are basically no good twisty riding roads in about a 100 miles radius circle around Las Vegas that don't involve a state/national park (low speed limits and heavy enforcement, plus lots of tourons to watch out for) or a race track and the really good ones are even further away.  It's just the way it is.  If you want to ride interesting roads starting here, you need to be ready to put in a couple of hours of "getting there" miles on the way there and on the way back.  But, because it's Big Sky country, the scenery is spectacular, so even when the road is mostly straight, it's still a good ride.    :biker1:

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2019, 05:20 PM »

"But, because it's Big Sky country, the scenery is spectacular, so even when the road is mostly straight, it's still a good ride.    :biker1: "

+1, but don't underestimate the extreme heat common to much of the flatter parts of the s.w.

Rob.