Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Versys 650 2009 replacement cowling  (Read 354 times)

Online darkfibre

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2009 KLE Versys
  • City / Town: Loughton Essex
Versys 650 2009 replacement cowling
« on: Oct 20, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Hi

Dropped my 2009 KLE Versys 650 and damaged the left side upper cowling as shown in the pictures.  I have been trying to find a good online parts or breakers but the google search or ebay search is coming up pretty limited.

Does anyone know a decent online store or shop that can help here? I have contacted my local Kawasaki dealer but I doubt they will source anything this old.

Hope someone has had similar experience.

Spencer

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Versys 650 2009 replacement cowling
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Them parts are pretty hard to find, especially if you're looking for pristine condition.

Dropped mine several times and just live with the cosmetic damage, the one time I replaced a part for cosmetic reasons I dropped it the following month so wasted £90.

FWIW it doesn't look too bad, perhaps a bit of wet and dry and a respray might do the job. You can even buy replacement stickers from Kawasaki.

Online kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Mate if you want to get it painted I have a green one in A1 condition

Online Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2019, 04:30 PM »
you can get OEM panels from here https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7DtBRCLARIsAGCJWBr5Q8OZ4r934n7_jSwYjGVKr1O7jzw4PH1KxPMu3PVOZCH2udkUGeMaAv5xEALw_wcB,

I've just got a pair myself, not cheap at £180 each and that's without decals.

Cheers Mark.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:31 PM »
For minor damages, a standard paint job. For seriously messed up situations, add fiberglass cloth and epoxy, the boat/yacht people use them all the time. Just saying, I know the question was about buying one but if that ends up complicated, there are ways to fix or even fabricate those. Anyway, the easiest place to try is perhaps your local bumper repair shop. Sometimes psychology points us in the wrong direction. If you damaged your car bumper similarly, you'd want it fixed and painted. But if it's a smaller piece on a motorcycle, you want to buy a new one.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2019, 08:34 PM by jkristjan »

Offline Marco58

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of the drop, always annoying. I did the same with a TDM900 many years back and had the same troubles but in the end found a good spray shop who matched the colour and repaired it for half the cost of a new panel. Im fussy about keeping my bikes looking good and even I couldnít tell. Maybe thatís an option.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Stewie can fix for almost nothing...   :whistle:

If you don't trust his workmanship (and who could blame you for that?   :008:), I'd setup a search on e-bay.  Parts come up all the time, just have to wait for the right color panel to pop up.  If you don't want to wait, the price from Fowlers (I hadn't been to their site in ages, used to be a very simple layout in the olden days of the internet) seems better than what we have to pay here for those parts. 

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:36 PM »
That is such an easy fix, If it is cracked  sand inside with 80 grit about an inch  ( 25mm ) around damaged area , buy a cheap glass fibre repair kit and glass the inside.The next day take it to your local car body shop or one with a good reputation and get them to fill and spray it. When i came off my FJ1200 many moons ago, the fairing was in lots of bits , i super glued  it together then did the above including the spray job, quite easy for me at the time as it was my job . P.S. still looked good after a few years. If you go down the replacement route have a go at fixing it anyway, d.i.y. can be very rewarding, or sell it on ,as i said it's an easy fix and it will sell.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Yes, well, as they are 180 a piece, go ahead buy a replacement one and send the old one to me, I will pay postage. I will fix it and there, 160 earned like nothing :D Oh and if you just need to get matching ones for 360, that is the business twofold!