Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Versys 650 creeps forward with clutch fully in?  (Read 465 times)

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650se
  • City / Town: Colchester
Versys 650 creeps forward with clutch fully in?
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:43 AM »
I have a 2019 Versys 650 SE and it has started to have some clutch issues.
It creeps forward with clutch lever fully in and it's very difficult to get it into neutral (to the extent I have had to turn the engine off in order to get out of gear). It seems to be a gradual thing which I noticed more and more and now its become a safety worry for me.

I am a mechanical nitwit but are there any step by step instructions anywhere of what needs adjusting (I had a look on youtube for an instructional vid but couldn't seem to find the right sort of thing).

Or should I take it back to the dealer and let them sort it? Its only 8 months old and done 2,400 miles. So I'm thinking I shouldn't need to be doing this sort of thing but... I want to learn

Any help gratefully received.
Stephen

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Versys 650 creeps forward with clutch fully in?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Sounds like the clutch cable needs adjusting. Here's a link, but it's fairly easy to do with an 8mm spanner and a pair of grips/pliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJyTxX-u_c

Also worth lubricating the cable as they stretch worse when dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTW13bABnlM

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:54 AM »
 :028:
Thanks @jonnster71  I'll take a look and give it a go

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Just had a quick look at the Owners manual for the Versys 650 and it says "clutch lever freeplay 2-3mm"  how/where is this measured?

Thanks
Stephen

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2019, 11:50 AM »
There:

Being a 2019, it is still heavily under warranty so you can just have it checked by the dealer. If there is a symptom like not going into neutral without abnormal force, do not pay for the adjustment.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 11:53 AM by jkristjan »

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Thanks @jkristjan  :028:

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2019, 05:51 PM »
i'm all for being able to sort stuff yourself and understanding how it works, makes you a much better rider if you understand what does what and why. But come on it's 2019 bike take it back to the supplying dealer and under threat of your boot up his incompetent backside tell him sort his s%^t  :192:

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:04 PM »
@kevin..in
Thanks , I have had a play and the clutch is slightly better and at least working well enough that I can confidently ride to the dealer  :002:

To be fair when I rang the dealer, Colchester Kawasaki, they immediately offered to take a look and sort it if I brought it in, which I will do (as soon as it stops raining!)

Cheers
Stephen

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:24 PM »
As it is a new bike, the cable should be nowhere near running out of adjustment room at the lever side. Going forward, you should get it butter smooth and perfect if you adjust it. If you get it only slightly better, the whole thing needs to be checked. I mean the thing under the clutch cover, the whole spring and disk installation. A defective spring, a broken strut, a loose nut, it just has to happen to new bikes in some rare cases because the assembly and part reliability can never ever reach a full round 100%.

Clutch drag as such depends on oil temperature, as this has not been described in more detail, we do not know if this is actually the problem or only a distraction. Those gearboxes have those cool neutral finders which in theory may also act up. And on the other hand, if there was no significant problem anywhere, neutral should be dead easy and butter smooth to find.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 06:27 PM by jkristjan »

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Thanks for help and advice everyone, much appreciated.
 I managed to get the clutch working safely and took it to the Kawasaki dealer (where  it was purchased) and they checked everything, lubed the cable, set the free-play, adjusted it to my comfort, all as good as new (again)
cheers
Stephen