Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lower or not?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650se
  • City / Town: Colchester
Re: Lower or not?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:58 PM »
@Mac
Elton John Pinball Wizard came to mind (not GG)  :goggle:

*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
Fitted lowering kit to mine 12 years ago ,simple job, a cheap alternative is to get your boots higher soles and heels. (bring back the 1970s platform soles) but don't mention Garry Glitter.

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:01 PM »
@Wal
Did you have to do anything with the side stand?

BTW I find it immensely annoying that there is no Centre Stand - is this just poor design by Kawasaki?

*Originally Posted by Wal [+]

not saying the vid is wrong, but you can lower the versys with a link, don't need spring or dog bones, its simpler, the Versys isn't an ADV bike but is very tall, you can afford to lose some height with very little drawback if only used on road,  for me, losing 30mm travel for extra 30mm of feet on the ground was hugely worth it....(all other things taken into consideration) and i still never bottomed the suspension or touched the pegs down....i would say to the OP, try the link, its easily reversed and isn't expensive

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2019, 10:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevie [+]
@Wal
Did you have to do anything with the side stand?

BTW I find it immensely annoying that there is no Centre Stand - is this just poor design by Kawasaki?

i had mine cut a bit shorter and rewelded, worth it for me in the gain in confidence, i was so much happier on the bike (kept it 6 years) but there are other options, ER6 stand fits, and other aftermarket adjustable ones, theres another thread on here at the minute about the adjustable ones, also Motowerk do a kit with the link and a workaround to shorten the stand, its not absolutely needed to shorten it, it just means the bike stands more upright....depends how happy you are with that

lack of centre stand is PITA, probably complicated due to underslung exhaust, there are aftermarket ones available though

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2019, 11:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevie [+]

There are several aftermarket options.  Most get very good reviews.  Did you look at any of those?

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:36 PM »
So I am pretty sure I do not want to go the lowering kit route (or platform boots)
So back to my original question are there any adjustments I can make e.g. seat, suspension, forks etc. that will allow me to get feet on a little more on the floor?
 :42:

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Setting the suspension preload to minimum will lower the bike for you.  You can also replace the seat with a low one, or shave the foam off the stock seat to suit.  If you shave too much foam, it won't be very comfortable.  At that point, you probably need to replace it with closed cell foam that will give you better support over time despite being thin.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2019, 08:37 AM »
@Gustavo
Thanks very much I will have a go with setting the suspension preload and see how I get on, as I am a mechanical nitwit how would I do that? 

cheers
Stephen

*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Setting the suspension preload to minimum will lower the bike for you.  You can also replace the seat with a low one, or shave the foam off the stock seat to suit.  If you shave too much foam, it won't be very comfortable.  At that point, you probably need to replace it with closed cell foam that will give you better support over time despite being thin.

Gustavo

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2019, 09:51 AM »
I'm 5foot 4 inches tall so a lowering kit was a must for me the bike is perfect so if you are a shorty I would definetly recommend that you do the same.If you buy the kit a dealer could fit in under an hour
Jim

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Thanks Jim, I am a little taller than you and I think a few more mm would be enough to help me feel more secure (e.g. when braking hard to a stop and having to put foot down quickly) I dont think I need 30mm or more that a lowering kit would give so am going to try adjustments to suspension and maybe the seat etc. and see how that goes - if it doesnt work out then I'll look at lowering kits
cheers
Steve

*Originally Posted by jim ballantyne [+]
I'm 5foot 4 inches tall so a lowering kit was a must for me the bike is perfect so if you are a shorty I would definetly recommend that you do the same.If you buy the kit a dealer could fit in under an hour
Jim

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Wilbers suspension will make you a rear shock 25mm shorter than stock.
You give them your weight, riding style etc. and they make it for you.

From their website:

Ride height: Do you want your bike RAISED or LOWER than factory? We can do that! By how much? 10mm, 15mm, 25mm?
Note: Don't forget... if you choose to lower your bike you may have to lower your kick stand and possibly your center stand.

Riding style: Commuting? Sport touring? Touring only? Off Road?

Weight: Need riders weight with full rider gear... do you ride solo mostly? with full bags mostly? With passenger mostly? With passenger AND full bags?

http://wilberssuspension.co.uk

I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.