Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lower or not?  (Read 722 times)

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650se
  • City / Town: Colchester
Lower or not?
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 05:56 PM »
I feel that the Versys 650 is a touch tall for me, I can get the balls of both feet down when stopped but only just. Only had two occasions when this caused an issue (once at low speed where there was an unfortunately located hole and once in really bad weather where my foot slipped).

Are there any adjustments I can make to lower it slightly, ideally without compromising the handling, ride, cornering, etc.

I am thinking that a lowering kit is overkill so will avoid that if I can.

Thanks
Stephen

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Lower or not?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:30 PM »
i used lowering link on both my Versys's,   i was much more confident, link doesn't affect handling...but you may have to alter the sidestand.... :028:
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 06:32 PM by Wal »

Offline TimTyler

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Versys
  • City / Town: Olympia, WA
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Tim
2014 Versys 650 & 1991 BMW K75
http://timtyler.com  http://mototrek.net

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by TimTyler [+]

not saying the vid is wrong, but you can lower the versys with a link, don't need spring or dog bones, its simpler, the Versys isn't an ADV bike but is very tall, you can afford to lose some height with very little drawback if only used on road,  for me, losing 30mm travel for extra 30mm of feet on the ground was hugely worth it....(all other things taken into consideration) and i still never bottomed the suspension or touched the pegs down....i would say to the OP, try the link, its easily reversed and isn't expensive

Offline TimTyler

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Versys
  • City / Town: Olympia, WA
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:14 PM »
Not sure how long you've had the Versys, Stevie, but if it's relatively new, you can overcome height limitations with practice.

I have a 29" inseam and can barely get tip-toes on both feet when sag is set properly. At first I wanted what you want, but now I'm comfortable with the height.
Tim
2014 Versys 650 & 1991 BMW K75
http://timtyler.com  http://mototrek.net

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Fitted a speedy lowering kit on mine and dropped the front forks through the yolks. Made me feel more confident and did'nt affect the handling,made it turn in a bit quicker but for me that was a good thing.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2019, 10:25 AM »
One word.

Motowerk.

Handling unaffected, excellent quality products. https://motowerk.com/
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019, 10:28 AM by Maverick »

Offline mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Fitted lowering kit to mine 12 years ago ,simple job, a cheap alternative is to get your boots higher soles and heels. (bring back the 1970s platform soles) but don't mention Garry Glitter.

Offline supamag

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V 650 GT
  • City / Town: PORTSMOUTH
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Had a lowering kit put on  mine before I collected it, also have some Adventure style boots that give a lift in height by about 2cm can nearly flat foot on both sides with this set up.

Offline stevie

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650se
  • City / Town: Colchester
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Thanks @TimTyler , sounds like we are similar in the leg   :002: ,
Can I ask how much mileage you do on the Versys?
I do a couple of hours riding a day (about 140 miles) I have other bikes as well as the Versys and am finding that I don't use it as often as I would have thought and the height is the only issue that I can think of and although its mostly fine I do find it troublesome.

*Originally Posted by TimTyler [+]
Not sure how long you've had the Versys, Stevie, but if it's relatively new, you can overcome height limitations with practice.

I have a 29" inseam and can barely get tip-toes on both feet when sag is set properly. At first I wanted what you want, but now I'm comfortable with the height.