Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: that time of year.  (Read 731 times)

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
that time of year.
« on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:37 AM »
It's come to that time of year where riders are either putting away shiny bikes or breaking out their warm riding clobber, fortunately this year I have some new stuff, but I still need to treat my leather bits, for the last 20 plus years I've used Renapur, I used to pick it up at the bike shows for 10 a pot great stuff, on looking I found my pot very nearly empty as the wife uses it on her bags & shoes as well, so ordered another,it was 13.50 direct from Renapur themselves. Now I know this stuff lasts,but hadn't  realised I'd bought my current one 12 years ago.

What winter prep do you do and what products do you use?

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
Re: that time of year.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2019, 12:54 PM »
I clean leather gear with baby wipes and treat it with Duckswax, I find it great.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:02 PM »
I ACF fiddy the whole bike after a wash, go back onto chain wax if not already, and put the liners back in my trousers.

And I remember that, because the temperature is so much colder, you have to ride much, much faster to get the tyre temperature up.

+1 for duckswax for all leather things.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 11:03 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:51 AM »
I've looked at the Duckswax and it's about twice the price by volume of Renapur, I'm guessing it's the same kind of thing (a blend of wax and linseed oil) as it appears to do the same job, I thought someone on here mind use something of newer technology such as this

and what their thoughts were on it ?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:09 PM »
I have just ordered a bottle of the DWR by Diver Dave  so I will put up my comments once it has arrived and I have a chance to try it out. (might take a few weeks).

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I have just ordered a bottle of the DWR by Diver Dave  so I will put up my comments once it has arrived and I have a chance to try it out. (might take a few weeks).

Dave T

Cheers, await your feedback.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:26 PM »
NikWax.

TX Direct Wash and Wash-In to replenish the waterproofing on my textiles.

Their leather wax stuff for my boots and spray my gloves.

About 8 for each item so 84 = 32 not cheap but it all works.

I've also got heated jacket and gloves, essential for motorway commuting!
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
NikWax.

TX Direct Wash and Wash-In to replenish the waterproofing on my textiles.

Their leather wax stuff for my boots and spray my gloves.

About 8 for each item so 84 = 32 not cheap but it all works.

I've also got heated jacket and gloves, essential for motorway commuting!

Hmmmm.... I used to use Nikwax a long time ago, but had issues with the solvent they used damaging stitching, of course they may have changed that now, i've not been back to find out, I've a heated vest, but find it almost too good, the Barkbusters and oxford grips combined work a treat for me.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I agree the Jacket can be a bit much sometimes, but I got it because I suffering from a cold chest and couldn't find a better alternative. Still suffering a little bit on the little V but not as much, I think the more upright riding position helps. I've also resurrected an old RST jacket that seems better suited to the coldest weather and has enough room underneath for the heated jacket and thermal layer.
Also never had heated grips or handguards before, so looking forward to seeing how they help, but the inner gloves used to help as my gloves aren't the best for really cold weather.
In town is ok but I leave for work at 5am and 30mins on the motorway each way adds to the chill, not to mention the odd midnight blood runs.

Never heard that about NikWax, but I can testify to its effectiveness on textiles, and it's nice to be able to wash your bike gear in the washing machine.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:49 AM »
If you are suffering from cold on the chest a good solution is a bigger screen that deflects the wind....but screens are a whole different topic. I find a bigger screen in the winter invaluable, along with some deflectors for the feet too.

Photobucket photo's I'm afraid
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11875.msg142720.html#msg142720

RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Honet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE