Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: time for personal tailoring  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Salty

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Fazer 600
  • City / Town: Wigan
Re: time for personal tailoring
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
I am interested in which camera system you install and 'how to' also the centre stand - will you be posting photos ?
Cheers.
Chris.
I fitted one of these "https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blueskysea-DV688-Motorcycle-DVR-2-4-LCD-Dual-1080P-HD-Lens-Dash-Camera-G-Sensor/183661247344?epid=17034414260&hash=item2ac3103b70:g:yBkAAOSwoKFbPmzR" to my Fazer back in March. Not the cheapest, but it is quality kit and it has performed flawlessly. Everything is included for installation including exlension camera cable if needed. All the cables just plug into each other so just a power connection to an ignition on feed is required.
Handlebar mounting would look a bit messy because of the cables, so my main unit is under the seat and because the cameras are so neat they are hard to spot.
I found it interesting to review how far behind me an unmarked cop car was when he switched on his blues. I think I stopped quicker than he expected  :008:
Ken.

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
Yeah Chris I'll definitely post some photos when I install them, might even do a "how to" video, I've got the Cameras ( cheap set from Ebay 30 all in) and centre stand, but not the time or stamina at present, next will be the heated grips & Givi screen I think .

I've got Oxford heated grips on mine - the ones with the push button heating control panel not the turn knob - there are 5 settings and even on the hottest they are quite frankly...  LAME  :003:

Even with thin leather driving gloves ( car not motorcycle ) you can just about tell they are on.

3/10.

I'd try them before you buy because they are a complete waste of money IMHO.
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Chris - You should get heated gloves.  Much better heating, most importantly, on the top of your hand that gets no heat even from a properly working heated grip.  Goes really well with a heated jacket liner or base layer.  It extends the comfortable riding season into well below freezing.  Well, as long as it's below freezing and dry...   :43:   :biker1: :biker1:   

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-gloves-socks/products/the-rider-classic-style-mens-heated-gloves

I can't recommend riding when it's below freezing and wet outside.  DAMHIK...   :22:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]

I can't recommend riding when it's below freezing and wet outside.  DAMHIK...   :22:

Gustavo
You and your bloody acronyms. 😂😂😂

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Chris - You should get heated gloves.  Much better heating, most importantly, on the top of your hand that gets no heat even from a properly working heated grip.  Goes really well with a heated jacket liner or base layer.  It extends the comfortable riding season into well below freezing.  Well, as long as it's below freezing and dry...   :43:   :biker1: :biker1:   

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-gloves-socks/products/the-rider-classic-style-mens-heated-gloves

Gustavo

Gustavo,
My riding season never ends, :003: its called 'Daily commuting to work'. :003: Are they completely waterproof, fairly robust as they get a lot of use between now and March, and where do you power them from ?

Thanks,
Chris.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Even with thin leather driving gloves ( car not motorcycle ) you can just about tell they are on.

There has to be something wrong with your controller or installation because the Oxford grips absolutely fry your hands on the hottest setting. I have the controller with v.8 written on the left lower corner and I can never turn them up to even 50% for long periods of time. Depending on weather I use the 30 or 40% setting and temporarily turn it up to 50 if my hands get wet or something.

If the controller itself is okay, maybe a bad wire or connection somewhere? But as it probably is a simple PWM controller without a temperature feedback, it is entirely possible that it is malfunctioning and resulting in much less heat than normal.

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
There has to be something wrong with your controller or installation because the Oxford grips absolutely fry your hands on the hottest setting. I have the controller with v.8 written on the left lower corner and I can never turn them up to even 50% for long periods of time. Depending on weather I use the 30 or 40% setting and temporarily turn it up to 50 if my hands get wet or something.

If the controller itself is okay, maybe a bad wire or connection somewhere? But as it probably is a simple PWM controller without a temperature feedback, it is entirely possible that it is malfunctioning and resulting in much less heat than normal.

Same here. If you have them wired directly they should be very very warm. Contact the seller and get a replacement controller, Oxford are great for no-quibble replacements

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:34 AM »
 I'd have to agree, I've used the Oxford V8 heated grips for the last 3 years on my other versys, even as a 20 yr diabetic I get toasty warm hands, looking forward to the same from the new ones when installed.
Mark.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Gustavo,
My riding season never ends, :003: its called 'Daily commuting to work'. :003: Are they completely waterproof, fairly robust as they get a lot of use between now and March, and where do you power them from ?

Thanks,
Chris.

I have two pairs.  The original one is going on 10 years now.  I don't commute, so they don't get daily use as you would, but they have been through multiple long winter trips where it was raining day after day and they have always waterproof.  The new model even has a handy squeegee  to help wipe your visor.

You can buy a wiring harness just for the gloves, but as I mentioned, I'd get a heated jacket liner too, especially if you commute in that kind of weather.  Then you hookup the jacket to the bike and the gloves to the jacket liner sleeves.  It may seem like a bit of a faff as Wall would say, but totally worth it.  And, once you got it down, it doesn't take an extra minute to be ready.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]

Yep, that looks like its the same one - greenlight for lowest setting, blue for the next 3 and the 100% setting id red.
Deffo something wrong then cos the 1st 3 settings don't heat your hands in the slightest.