Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: time for personal tailoring  (Read 1374 times)

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: time for personal tailoring
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
I have two pairs.  The original one is going on 10 years now.  I don't commute, so they don't get daily use as you would, but they have been through multiple long winter trips where it was raining day after day and they have always waterproof.  The new model even has a handy squeegee  to help wipe your visor.

You can buy a wiring harness just for the gloves, but as I mentioned, I'd get a heated jacket liner too, especially if you commute in that kind of weather.  Then you hookup the jacket to the bike and the gloves to the jacket liner sleeves.  It may seem like a bit of a faff as Wall would say, but totally worth it.  And, once you got it down, it doesn't take an extra minute to be ready.

Gustavo

I had a Keiss heated waistcoat about 7 years back. Toasty when it worked but liable to cold patches when the elements failed and the controllers regularly failed so gave up. If stuff is better these days I'll rethink.
Cheers for the info.
Chris.
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2019, 05:15 AM »
Yeah, that's what happens when you buy cheap gear...   :015:

Actually, not necessarily cheap, I actually heard  people that bought other brands and they had similar problems as you mentioned with dead spots or hot spots, and those weren't any cheaper than the gear Warm & Safe sells. 

Do you still have that old Keiss heated jacket somewhere?  Take a look at this:

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-jacket-liner-trade-up

Not sure how it works out with shipping from the UK, might not be that much savings... 

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:50 AM »
todays mod, high level brake light, whilst I'm sure they make a kit for this; I doubt it's less than a fiver, a couple of red LED's and a waterproof plug/socket was all it took.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:09 PM »
this one not so much of a mod; never the less an important addition for under the seat, first aid kit, nothing major but just enough, a couple of additions over the basic kit, but of course the most important thing is knowing how to use it and what to do (sorry if it sounds a little preachy but 12 yrs as a frontline ambulance man I've seen lives saved by first person on scene with the right knowledge).

I think this kit was 1.38 on ebay, so not a fortune.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2019, 12:12 PM by Rictus »

Offline Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Rictus, looks like you are making great progress tailoring the new bike to your spec, thanks for sharing the details. Regarding the 1st aid, you are right about needing the knowledge and with that in mind I have downloaded the St John's Ambulance app onto my smartphone. Although I have had basic 1st Aid training it is still difficult to remember in stressful situations and the App looks as though it would be extremely helpful, even instructing by verbal commands in case you have your hands full with a casualty. I doubt you would need help given your experience but others might find such an App a really useful addition to their  "tool kit".

FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2019, 02:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Yeah, that's what happens when you buy cheap gear...   :015:

Actually, not necessarily cheap, I actually heard  people that bought other brands and they had similar problems as you mentioned with dead spots or hot spots, and those weren't any cheaper than the gear Warm & Safe sells. 

Do you still have that old Keiss heated jacket somewhere?  Take a look at this:

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/heated-jacket-liner-trade-up

Not sure how it works out with shipping from the UK, might not be that much savings... 

Gustavo
Yes, mine and my ex wifes. They still work quite well at keeping the core warm as a waistcoat under the jacket.

Not seeing any trade in deal in UK though.
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
Rictus, looks like you are making great progress tailoring the new bike to your spec, thanks for sharing the details. Regarding the 1st aid, you are right about needing the knowledge and with that in mind I have downloaded the St John's Ambulance app onto my smartphone. Although I have had basic 1st Aid training it is still difficult to remember in stressful situations and the App looks as though it would be extremely helpful, even instructing by verbal commands in case you have your hands full with a casualty. I doubt you would need help given your experience but others might find such an App a really useful addition to their  "tool kit".

Sounds like a useful thing, but really any knowledge is better than none.

Offline klekid

• Versys Pro
  • 50 chr max
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Hazelbury Bryan
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
this one not so much of a mod; never the less an important addition for under the seat, first aid kit, nothing major but just enough, a couple of additions over the basic kit, but of course the most important thing is knowing how to use it and what to do (sorry if it sounds a little preachy but 12 yrs as a frontline ambulance man I've seen lives saved by first person on scene with the right knowledge).

I think this kit was 1.38 on ebay, so not a fortune.

Do BMW give out first aid kits still? I got one "free" when I bought my R80GS. Honestly can't remember if it came with the add on Dakar package that came with it. Either way thought it was a good idea.

John
"If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together".

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:58 PM »

*Originally Posted by klekid [+]
Do BMW give out first aid kits still? I got one "free" when I bought my R80GS. Honestly can't remember if it came with the add on Dakar package that came with it. Either way thought it was a good idea.

John

:152:

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Not much today, feeling a bit rough, so wired in the topbox brake light I'd built previously, but now to make it mine, added Regimental badge.

Parked up in my lineup for a little run tomorrow to stiffen up that bouncy ride.