Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Motorway riding?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Philistine

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
Motorway riding?
« on: Nov 11, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Hi all

Just wondering what your experience with the Versys 650 on the motorway.

Does it cruise comfortably at normal motorway speeds without too much vibration?

Online mac one

• Versys God
Re: Motorway riding?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2019, 06:59 PM »
It's fine on motorways, some drop a tooth on the front sprocket to make it a bit more relaxed.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2019, 08:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Philistine [+]
Hi all

Does it cruise comfortably at normal motorway speeds without too much vibration?
The MK 3 is super smooth at UK motorway speeds. No vibration at all.   :152:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
It's fine on motorways, some drop a tooth on the front sprocket to make it a bit more relaxed.
No quite right

To make it more relaxing at motorway speed you go from a 15t to a 16t front sprocket
Richard    :001: 

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
No quite right

To make it more relaxing at motorway speed you go from a 15t to a 16t front sprocket

Really does make a difference. I did this with my Mk1 and it also made the speedo very accurate as a bonus.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Yes, it's fine.  Some crazy people have been known to run back to back 6-700 miles per day on one.  I used to run a 16T sprocket, but with the last chain/sprockets I went back to stock.  Honestly, the difference is minimal.  The bike still easily runs at US highway speeds w/o being strained.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Philistine [+]
Hi all

It depends on what you rode before. If you're a silky smooth IL4 sports tourer guy then it might seem a bit agricultural, and no matter how much we love the versatility of the Versys 650, it is more at home on the twisties than on motorways. It can cruise at 80 mph all day long and will never miss a beat, but you need to be realistic...this is a parallel twin.

Make sure you have the right screen for your height, wear ear plugs and a decent helmet and it's perfectly viable as a long distance mile muncher but if you're going to be doing 80% motorways then there are probably better options out there...the 650 V-Strom for example with it's smoother V twin.

Probably 40% of my mileage is on dreadful 90 mile commutes into london and it manages fine, but whenever I have the opportunity I will take a longer A/B road route as the bike is so much better when it's thrown around a bit.

Trying to be balanced, I love the V and reckon it one of the best bikes for economical, do anything riding. It's great at so many things and just adequate at motorway runs.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I rode from Estonia to Croatia to Italy to Austria to Estonia this August/September on my new 2019 MK3. Longest days were Tallinn - Warsaw, Warsaw - Siófok, and Zell am See - Warsaw, around 1200km a day with the detours and road closures. Zero problems because on the rough and busy East-European highways, you will not want to do over 140km/h anyways and you don't even want to do that constantly for long periods of time. And you can still easily accelerate to 150km/h or 180km/h should you need it. But you will not, because Versys 650 is a long distance travel motorcycle and the secret to doing long distances is not going too fast. You cannot run a marathon using sprinting techniques and that has nothing to do with the shoes you are wearing. Sure the shoes would run a marathon at full sprint speed but you would be dead in the first kilometer. On long trips you want to do a pleasant 120km/h and occasionally go to the right lane (or left for you, brexiteers) to chill out and relax with the semis.

Offline Philistine

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 03:29 PM »
OK well at least half the replies suggest I don't need to do any modifications, which is encouraging.  I'm not buying a new bike to immediately start trying to change it (especially since I don't really have a clue what to do).

Even with my total lack of expertise I know that a parallel twin isn't the best choice for smooth riding at higher speeds, but looks like it might be ok. I had a Suzuki GS500 before  (cue scoffing) which wasn't that bad in terms of the vibration but wasn't that comfortable for more than a couple of hours.

I bought the Versys on a gut feeling rather than a careful examination of the facts, so let's hope the gamble pays off!

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2019, 03:30 PM by Philistine »

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:16 PM »

I think the gamble is highly likely to pay off. It did for me, in spades.
 There have been very few indeed who have posted within a few months that buying the bike was a mistake and that it is up for sale.

You have a wide range of opinions in this thread and they are all correct. Once you have had the bike for a while and ridden it in a variety of circumstances you'll learn which are more correct for you, which less.
 No point in chucking money at the bridge before you get to it. It may need it only in select areas, or not at all.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.