Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Motorway riding?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline MarkM

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Motorway riding?
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2020, 08:17 AM »
The only thing I can't see mentioned here so far, so perhaps it's only me that suffers from it is how easily the bike gets blown about from side winds. It's like riding with a sail attached by the amount of wind it catches. Many times I've almost been moved into the oncoming traffic, leaning the bike to try and compensate.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2020, 08:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by MarkM [+]
The only thing I can't see mentioned here so far, so perhaps it's only me that suffers from it is how easily the bike gets blown about from side winds.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that this is true for any 'faired' bike.  It was certainly true on my Ninja.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline irishbob

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Cork
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2020, 10:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
I also had a VFR last of the 750s that i traded in for my Versys back in 07 , the Honda vibes were more of a high pitch and very annoying, i also cope fine with the Versys on standard sprockets. Been all over Ireland from top to bottom and its the perfect bike for your roads, no wonder road racing is big over there. The only thing to worry about is getting the bike nicked for the swing arm. Check out how many Er6 racing bikes are fitted with Versys swing arms.

I had a 97 VFR 750. A fine bike, but overall the Versys is better for the real world. Thanks for the tip on the swingarm, didn't know that!

Offline irishbob

• Versys Member
« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2020, 10:43 AM »
The only thing I can't see mentioned here so far, so perhaps it's only me that suffers from it is how easily the bike gets blown about from side winds. It's like riding with a sail attached by the amount of wind it catches. Many times I've almost been moved into the oncoming traffic, leaning the bike to try and compensate.

Hasn't been an issue for me, but I'm 6' and 15 stone, and we have lots of wind in Ireland - the Saudi Arabia of wind energy apparently.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2020, 02:27 PM »

I don't find side winds a problem, but what I have really noticed at motorway speeds is if I come up behind a loaded car transporter, they seem to generate more turbulence than anything else.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2020, 04:09 PM »

There are several long discussion about riding in windy conditions here, but to sum them up, that behavior is typically the rider's fault.  The wind hits the rider and bike, the rider gets pushed around giving the bike unintended steering input and the bike simply reacts to them.  It's a bit exacerbated by the Versys quick steering, which makes any small input result in a significant direction change.

When you encounter strong/gusty winds sit a bit closer to the tank, loosen your grip on the bars (make sure your arms are loose too, in the US we often refer to this as "doing the chicken dance" to make sure your arms/elbows are loose) and let the bike do its thing.  You'll notice it is a lot more stable than before.  It will actually try to lean into the wind, let it, just keep looking where you want to go and keep it going straight.  If you have a throttle lock, I'd say use it and let go of the bars completely, but I would only recommend that for a professional rider in controlled, closed circuit conditions...   :211:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline MarkM

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #26 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I'll try the sitting closer to the tank trick, hopefully it will help a bit. I do try relaxing my grip but sometimes the bike feels like it's going to spiral out of control quickly, perhaps it isn't and it's more psychological. Never had this issue/worry with any other bike either with or without a fairing. I started thinking it was due to the lofty position I sit in as the versys feels taller than most bikes I've owned.

Offline riggerjim

• Versys God
« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:12 AM »
I've always been very comfortable on a Versys on a motorway Ive had a couple of 650 single cylinder trailies and they were very hard work on a motorway
Jim

Offline irishbob

• Versys Member
« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I had a Yamaha FZR 250 many years back (a Jap import faired sports bike, revved out to 19k). That thing was like a hang glider on the motorway, super light and all that fairing. The Versys is rock solid in comparison. Always said those sports 250s are more dangerous than a hayabusa for that reason.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 08:59 AM by irishbob »

Offline Rapcity

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2016
  • City / Town: newcastle
« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2020, 12:11 PM »
only problem i have is that bloody screen :157: i'm 6'4 and low or high smacks me right in the head, loud and noisy. looking at options on how to fix it!! other than that what a bike, so much fun, comfortable and don't want to get off.