Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: USB socket  (Read 5075 times)

Online eggsy64

• Versys Member
  • Living the dream so the wife says!!
  • Bike: Versys 650 KLE
  • City / Town: Torpoint
USB socket
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 07:09 PM »
I have a usb socket I want to fit to the bike for charging my phone.if I connect it to the battery itís permanently lit up there for draining the battery so can I wire the live to the live on the horn and the negative to the battery so itís only on when the ignitions  on ?????? It has a fuse on the live wire.
🦊🦊🦊

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: USB socket
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 07:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by eggsy64 [+]
I have a usb socket I want to fit to the bike for charging my phone.if I connect it to the battery itís permanently lit up there for draining the battery so can I wire the live to the live on the horn and the negative to the battery so itís only on when the ignitions  on ?????? It has a fuse on the live wire.

live to horn is ok, you only need take negative to nearest good earth, any bolt on the frame will do....

Online eggsy64

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Brilliant that sounds within my capabilities lol
😀
🦊🦊🦊

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Whilst you'll be OK for your phone, be aware the horn feed is low amp feed, so don't put anything heavy draw on the circuit or be tempted to to fit a heated gloves or Aux lighting  (or indeed a 12v socket), as you may well overload it.
Mark.

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
Whilst you'll be OK for your phone, be aware the horn feed is low amp feed, so don't put anything heavy draw on the circuit or be tempted to to fit a heated gloves or Aux lighting  (or indeed a 12v socket), as you may well overload it.

You could use the horn as trigger for a relay, and wire the usb directly to the battery then

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Galwayversys [+]
You could use the horn as trigger for a relay, and wire the usb directly to the battery then

You could indeed, however if you are going to the trouble of running wires back to the battery and adding a relay, personally i'd use heaver wired and fuse each device appropriately, triggering it from the main fusebox; effectively building an aux loom to run all the extras you want, I've done that on many bikes, fortunately On the Mk3 I acquired recently the wiring was already there so no need.   

In this case mobile phones only have a small draw and the horn wiring should be more than adequate.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 02:35 PM by Rictus »
Mark.

Online eggsy64

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Thanks for that chaps
🦊🦊🦊

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Better use this. The wires are already there under the nose fairing, you need to add the relay which will make them live. I mean of course you can do it many different ways but this is how it's meant.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2019, 04:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Better use this. The wires are already there under the nose fairing, you need to add the relay which will make them live. I mean of course you can do it many different ways but this is how it's meant.

:86: :89:

Kawasaki have already done most of the hard work for you, the wiring and relay connector are already neatly packed behind the front fairing, ready to add the official usb charger, but aftermarket ones fit too!
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Online eggsy64

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Iím presuming that will only be live when ignition is on ?😬
🦊🦊🦊