Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Airbag- lanyard or sensor?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Airbag- lanyard or sensor?
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:09 PM »
 Hi Folks
I was about to purchase the Helite Turtle 2 airbag after reading the various reviews. However, the guy in the shop recommended a Dainese model because it has a gyro sensor instead of the lanyard, which is used in the Helite airbag. I like the idea of a simple lanyard, but I was advised that the gyro sensor technology is 'amazing' and is what the professional racers use.  At 55 years of age and having only passed my bike test just over a year ago I'm unlikely to be a professional racer anytime soon, so If anyone has any thoughts on airbags for weekend use in the Scottish Highlands it will be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Gavin

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Airbag- lanyard or sensor?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Lanyards are Ok if you remember to disconnect them every time you get off the bike, wife has a "HitAir" for horse riding and they've had a few go of when dismounting  :138: :008:
Just passin' through

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Hi Dilbert
The lanyard wins by a 'nose' so hopefully I can dismount my bike easier than a horse!
Cheers
Gavin

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Should the lanyard not require a considerable force/acceleration to deploy? Like a car seatbelt, it does not engage on normal movement.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:05 PM »
My son and I had a look at some a couple of years ago.

The manufacturer was keen to stress that if you got off your bike without detaching the lanyard it wouldn't trigger inflation, and we both had a good tug  :007: to confirm it. Followed by a serious bit of tugging to really trigger it.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Yes, under normal circumstances, if you get off and just snag it then it won't go off, but if you forget and jump off the back to dash to the "gents" then it probably would  :008:

It's a lot further down off a horse's saddle than a bike's  :001:
Just passin' through

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Gav.  Don't do anything at the moment my friend. I'm sure that if air bags / air bag suits become popular for road riders, very soon someone will be first on the market with motorcycle ejector seats . These will be a snip at ONLY twice the price of your bike. An absolute must for all motorcyclists.

Seriously !!!!!!!!! A 55 year old sensible bloke riding a motorbike in the Scottish highlands, riding in a proper manner, that is in keeping with his age and experience, is more likely to be struck by lightening than EVER having use for an air bag, or air bag suit whilst meandering around the Highlands on a bike.

Stuff like this was invented to save racing motorcyclists from severe injury in crashes that could happen at over 200 miles per hour. ALL of which could never be replicated by you or I toddling around on our road bikes.

It's just more modern crap, designed to separate you from your hard earned. And will be of no use whatsoever to 99.99% of  55 or in my case 71 year old blokes that ride bikes.

So unless you look at yourself as Mister 1%, I would advise to keep your cash firmly tucked in your wallet.           :2:       Geoff.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2019, 09:45 PM »
I have written a write up review of my helite that I've been using for about three years, if you search. Never gone while disembarking, so that's not an issue.

I agree, gyro sensors will be better overall than a lanyard, but it also has cost implications. (The reaction is likely to be swifter.) I have two experienced friends who also use them and are happy with it.

I don't know whether I would buy another, as I no longer commute on the bike, but having said that, I'd rather have it than not, on balance. It's the same price as a decent lid, and may reduce the severity of injury. I buy decent gear and wear it all the time. I appreciate that others don't, and don't blame them. I've crashed twice, both at speed, and both my own fault. Probably, the vest wouldn't have helped in either, but then again, I don't get to chose my accidents.

Also, I seriously disagree with Geoff's take on the matter (sorry, boss!) But the cost is a fraction of what you've wasted over the years, and let's just say it minimises an injury a little, at that time I'm sure you'd say you'd have been happy to spend three times as much! Indeed, I would also argue that not much will help you at 200mph, but at 40mph, they probably will.

The odds of being hit by lightning in the uk is 1:1.2million. The likelihood of being involved in a bike accident is significantly higher. Otherwise, you'd not bother using any gear at all, a position I don't think Geoff is arguing for. (I also appreciate that it was tongue in cheek, but it is important to accurately assess probability.)

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2019, 09:54 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2019, 01:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Gav.  Don't do anything at the moment my friend. I'm sure that if air bags / air bag suits become popular for road riders, very soon someone will be first on the market with motorcycle ejector seats . These will be a snip at ONLY twice the price of your bike. An absolute must for all motorcyclists.

Seriously !!!!!!!!! A 55 year old sensible bloke riding a motorbike in the Scottish highlands, riding in a proper manner, that is in keeping with his age and experience, is more likely to be struck by lightening than EVER having use for an air bag, or air bag suit whilst meandering around the Highlands on a bike.

Stuff like this was invented to save racing motorcyclists from severe injury in crashes that could happen at over 200 miles per hour. ALL of which could never be replicated by you or I toddling around on our road bikes.

It's just more modern crap, designed to separate you from your hard earned. And will be of no use whatsoever to 99.99% of  55 or in my case 71 year old blokes that ride bikes.

So unless you look at yourself as Mister 1%, I would advise to keep your cash firmly tucked in your wallet.           :2:       Geoff.

Two of my wife's friends fell backwards off their horses (separate events) and broke their backs, this is a common injury amongst horse riders and what the HitAir vests are designed for.

Bikes are different animals, but to suggest that the equivalent inflatable vest is only of use to racers is wrong.

I'm not advocating that everyone rushes out and buys one, but I also wouldn't criticise someone for trying to reduce their chances of a life changing injury  :028:
Just passin' through

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2019, 02:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Two of my wife's friends fell backwards off their horses (separate events) and broke their backs, this is a common injury amongst horse riders and what the HitAir vests are designed for.

Bikes are different animals, but to suggest that the equivalent inflatable vest is only of use to racers is wrong.

I'm not advocating that everyone rushes out and buys one, but I also wouldn't criticise someone for trying to reduce their chances of a life changing injury  :028:
I never suggested that inflatable vests/ suits are only of use to people who go racing. I stated that they were invented for racers.

And the millions of pounds that have been invested by manufacturers of these products, needs to be drawn back in.  Therefore , the obvious way to do this would be to offer the product to road going riders.

My  ( tic )  answer to Gav was directed at his location and intended usage of his bike. And in my opinion, he would get zero value from such a product.  :2:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?