Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Airbag- lanyard or sensor?  (Read 446 times)

ballyardboy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Airbag- lanyard or sensor?
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:09 PM »
 Hi Folks
I was about to purchase the Helite Turtle 2 airbag after reading the various reviews. However, the guy in the shop recommended a Dainese model because it has a gyro sensor instead of the lanyard, which is used in the Helite airbag. I like the idea of a simple lanyard, but I was advised that the gyro sensor technology is 'amazing' and is what the professional racers use.  At 55 years of age and having only passed my bike test just over a year ago I'm unlikely to be a professional racer anytime soon, so If anyone has any thoughts on airbags for weekend use in the Scottish Highlands it will be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Gavin

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Airbag- lanyard or sensor?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Lanyards are Ok if you remember to disconnect them every time you get off the bike, wife has a "HitAir" for horse riding and they've had a few go of when dismounting  :138: :008:
Just passin' through

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Hi Dilbert
The lanyard wins by a 'nose' so hopefully I can dismount my bike easier than a horse!
Cheers
Gavin

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Should the lanyard not require a considerable force/acceleration to deploy? Like a car seatbelt, it does not engage on normal movement.

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:05 PM »
My son and I had a look at some a couple of years ago.

The manufacturer was keen to stress that if you got off your bike without detaching the lanyard it wouldn't trigger inflation, and we both had a good tug  :007: to confirm it. Followed by a serious bit of tugging to really trigger it.