Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Helmet noise from buffeting  (Read 4648 times)

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Helmet noise from buffeting
« on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:15 PM »
I was looking for a replacement helmet in White or high viz Yellow and the most comfortable non eye wateringly expensive was a Bell Qualifier dlx.

https://www.ghostbikes.com/12928-bell-qualifier-dlx-motorcycle-helmet.html

Plus side - its comfy, cheek pads don't irritate beardies, light, cutouts for speakers, washable internal padding, truly fantastic reactolite visor and you can get it for 99.00.

Down side - Its noisy, 'space shuttle launch' noisy ( on the Versys at any rate ).

I had an old one of these

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/puig-102x325mm-replacement-visor-smoke

in the garage and stuck it on this morning.

What a difference. Soo much quieter.  If you are getting a lot of wind noise due to the small screen, these work and you can get them new for about 20.

Admin edit:  Links substantially (!) shortened
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Helmet noise from buffeting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2019, 07:40 PM »
Do you use ear plugs when riding?  If it's that loud, it will cause you hearing damage.  Also, was the previous helmet not as loud with the same screen?  Maybe it's a fit issue with the new helmet that is making it worse.  You could try different cheek-pad widths.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2019, 12:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Do you use ear plugs when riding?  If it's that loud, it will cause you hearing damage.  Also, was the previous helmet not as loud with the same screen?  Maybe it's a fit issue with the new helmet that is making it worse.  You could try different cheek-pad widths.

Gustavo

Only had the helmet a week and yes I wear earplugs. Previous helmet a Schuberth C3 not as noisy with just the standard screen although the Bell is a snug but not tight fit. Putting the little deflector screen on the top of the standard screen has reduced the noise level massively. It's now what I would describe as not noticeable.

Chris.
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline dmerc

• Versys Newbie
  • Happily Retired!
  • Bike: 15 650 Versys LT
  • City / Town: Antwerp,Ohio USA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
Putting the little deflector screen on the top of the standard screen has reduced the noise level massively. It's now what I would describe as not noticeable.

Chris.

I have used  screen spoilers for many years, and on many bikes.  Before they became so easily and cheaply found, I made my own, using aluminum brackets and lexan. They are an absolute necessity to deal with buffeting.
'15 650 Versys LT
'07 1250 Bandit