Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: exhaust mod  (Read 8528 times)

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: exhaust mod
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:09 AM »
 :89: :89:

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I understand your point, and noise came be annoying at times, but having been trained by the best at Hendon, a Rospa gold holder and a bike paramedic, I know just how effective a louder noise can be in traffic at saving my life on a bike, wearing Hi viz/ extra lighting is matter of course as well.

It comes down to, I'd rather be here to hear you annoyance at a little extra noise, than forever silent in a hole in the ground.
Mark.

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rictus [+]
I understand your point, and noise came be annoying at times, but having been trained by the best at Hendon, a Rospa gold holder and a bike paramedic, I know just how effective a louder noise can be in traffic at saving my life on a bike, wearing Hi viz/ extra lighting is matter of course as well.

It comes down to, I'd rather be here to hear you annoyance at a little extra noise, than forever silent in a hole in the ground.

Well....a couple of points,

If you had turned up for your RoSPA test on a bike that wasn't roadworthy and compliant with C&U Regs it would have been over before you had finished your pre ride checks.

You obviously didn't - why not if you feel so strongly about the issue ?
You could have argued with the Examiner that you should be applauded for improving road safety and see how far that got you.

I suppose 5am is a time  :015:

If you are relying to any extent on noise keeping you safe as you progress along the road you clearly haven't done enough Blues &Two's runs to realise it's not, and what keeps you safe is sound driving plans based on equally sound observation and anticipation.

What happens if EVERYONE adopts your safety advice and has a loud exhaust . See my point ?

Now stop digging as the hole you are in is quite deep enough.

Hendon trained ( Highest Course Marks ).
30+ years in the Met -17 as a Traffic Patrol officer, Advanced Driver and Motorcyclist.
RoSPA Examiner ( Retired ).

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2019, 09:58 PM by penry »
No solution is insurmountable...

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2019, 10:42 PM »
Oh dear.... where is my comfy chair and pop-corn?
This looks like it has the potential to get interesting...

Dave T

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]

Dave T

Here you go Dave, I've an installment for you, All of course in good humor.... :152: (last sentence especially for you).

*Originally Posted by penry [+]
Well....a couple of points,

If you had turned up for your RoSPA test on a bike that wasn't roadworthy and compliant with C&U Regs it would have been over before you had finished your pre ride checks.

You obviously didn't - why not if you feel so strongly about the issue ?
You could have argued with the Examiner that you should be applauded for improving road safety and see how far that got you.

I suppose 5am is a time  :015:

If you are relying to any extent on noise keeping you safe as you progress along the road you clearly haven't done enough Blues &Two's runs to realise it's not, and what keeps you safe is sound driving plans based on equally sound observation and anticipation.

What happens if EVERYONE adopts your safety advice and has a loud exhaust . See my point ?

Now stop digging as the hole you are in is quite deep enough.

Hendon trained ( Highest Course Marks ).
30+ years in the Met -17 as a Traffic Patrol officer, Advanced Driver and Motorcyclist.
RoSPA Examiner ( Retired ).

Easy answers for you, it came with a siren and additional lighting already being a work provided bike, my personal bike at the time and indeed since has both additional lighting and greater noise than standard.

You do get my  agreement  5 am is a time, although I'm presuming you know how to ride conservatively when traffic and time dictate to minimize disruption as at those times traffic is also a great deal lighter  (cant say I know much about Wakefield traffic though).

I didn't at anytime say I relied on any "one" thing, nor would I, but if I can enhance any aspect for the environment I ride in, I do and will.

As to my experience "enough Blues &Two's runs". I wasn't aware there was a "enough" achievement, unlike most it was never an enjoyable aspect to me, the line between comfortable and making progress , more a necessary one.

Hypothetically (which I presume you're talking about), If everyone did adopt my point of view, it might drowned out their phones, stop them listening to music or even paying more attention to the road, then perhaps I wouldn't need to stand out as much on the road.

digging a hole?, in a perfect world we'd all be safe, I'll keep doing those things I see as effective at keeping me this way, as you may or may not know I recently got a new Versys Mk3 and apart from the very soft suspension it's a real pleasure to ride, however I chose to buy a centre stand as apposed to spend the money on an aftermarket exhaust system, a couple of weeks riding it around and threw London has convinced me I was wrong, before it gets any more real use; it'll be modified or replaced, I've never used my horn (upgraded by the way) so much in the last couple of weeks just to make drivers aware of my presence.

Oh and just to make it complete, Ambulance bike paramedic, frontline service 12 yrs,Advanced Driver and Motorcyclist qualified,apart from that, 9 babies delivered, too numerous CPR recoveries performed, 6yrs military service, rescued a dog once, returned a wallet (does that add points  :027:).

Mark.

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:50 AM »

Dave T
Just had to order more popcorn.  :015:

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
Just had to order more popcorn.  :015:
Atleast this discussion will help stop early onset PMS  :008:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2019, 02:50 PM »

Dave T

:mfr_lol:

Save me a seat... this one's got real potential to be a blockbuster!  :152:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Go Team Green!!  :031:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I sit back and await Round 3 - Might need a good coffee with the popcorn!

Dave T