Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: exhaust mod  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Vern

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Widnes
Re: exhaust mod
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Let's explore another idea!!!!

Just for Dave's entertainment.

There is a particular character currently attracting attention in the press, we know the name  :172:

Well when we were tasked to assist the clearing of a safe path for  :172: passage we were only allowed to use are 'blue' candles as we swept past the convoy on our tin donkeys.

So having reached the next junction, and some were pretty big one's in the City, were we allowed to wake folk up by using our siren.....no.....no.....no  :9: was the instruction given at the morning briefing because  :172: will be disturbed by the noise.

Well there we were, riding into the jaws of the live junction with nothing more than a tin whistle  :027:
Oh I can assure you that whistle did some blowing  :020:, and it worked.

So my suggestion is not to bother with a noisy exhaust, just get a whistle  :123A:

Enjoy Vern

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2019, 11:05 AM »
The old tin whistle  - it does work because it is a different sound from the usual to attract attention. The problem is that if we all start using it, some numpty will then drive into the side of  :172: because it has become 'usual' sound and the numpty is too blind and engrossed in his/her phone to see the procession in from of them.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2019, 12:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]

I've got one of those badges as well, but mine is red and has the words Instructor above it and 10 year-bars hanging under it  :whistle:

What does that qualify me for then  :notsure:

:008:
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2019, 12:47 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: F800gt & CUB
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2019, 02:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
I've got one of those badges as well, but mine is red and has the words Instructor above it and 10 year-bars hanging under it  :whistle:

What does that qualify me for then  :notsure:

:008:
Well obviously my thanks to you and all the other instructors on the brilliant scheme,
Best days of my life learning how to ride and stay alive in my first months as a motorcyclist.
Shame the government saw a money making opportunity and ruined everything.
I'm going out on my bike.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]
Well obviously my thanks to you and all the other instructors on the brilliant scheme,
Best days of my life learning how to ride and stay alive in my first months as a motorcyclist.
Shame the government saw a money making opportunity and ruined everything.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I have been instructed to post more by an early retiree to be so i will choose this relatively innocuous and uncontentious thread to immerse myself back in the fold.

As most NVM attendees will admit I am a fan of the loud exhaust, it has been mentioned by some on here that perhaps I have taken it too far, I do this purely for my own enjoyment though. I bloody love the sound of a loud bike at full chat. It stirs my cold dead soul.
My thoughts on the matter are, everyone is out to kill me so I will do my best to avoid them.
If they hear my exhaust all the better, if not I would hope to spot them first.

Loud pipes save lives!! Do they really?
When driving my car I do not usually hear anyones exhaust until they are alongside or past me. As you may have noticed, on most bikes the exhaust points generally in a  backwards direction and the laws of physics suggest the majority of the noise will go that way also.
Unless you are being seriously loud it is unlikely you will be heard. The traffic noise in London or other cities and the sound insulation in cars now adays will generally render everything, except something stupidly loud even at low revs, pointless from a safety point.

When filtering on motorways I have noticed that more people pay attention to high beams and emergency flashers rather than exhaust.

If having a loud exhaust is the most anti social thing that I do then I am OK with that, a lot of you know where my levels of anti social are at :007:

I have zero qualifications and certainly no additional bars.
I have only my own experience of riding.
I aint dead, although I am amazed by that fact sometimes, I have only had two notable accidents both of which dented the pride more than the bike and neither of them had anything to do with the noise of my exhaust, unless you consider a minor injury sustained at the hands of my wife when a personal exhaust exceeded expectations one evening.

Now to continue with the popcorn, toffee is the best although I am also partial to salted.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I have been instructed to post more by an early retiree to be
so i will choose this relatively innocuous and uncontentious thread to immerse myself back in the fold.

Who is that then   :027:   :whistle: :whistle:

:38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38:

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2019, 04:50 PM by TowerMan »

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Richard,

Please don't be under any comprehension that you will have time to pursue any of your ideas once you retire -  It is only a change of employer from a paying employer to a non-paying family (employer) whose ambition will be to ensure that you do not get bored with the lack of paid employment.
You will find that you will have even less time to follow your own interests. You can get confirmation of this truth from any forum members who have retired and have a family around them!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Who is that then   :027:   :whistle: :whistle:

:38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38:

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

Buggered if I know

Offline THE RAT

• Versys Pro
  • THE RAT ORKNEY ISLES SCOTLAND
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2019, 06:58 PM »
 :notsure: so your  saying you have a loud exhaust  then stewie  I cant say I've heard it :138: must be because your always  at the back   :125: for well at least the first 3 minutes  :biker1: