Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: To fog or not to fog?  (Read 5931 times)

Offline JimmyDean

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
To fog or not to fog?
« on: Nov 28, 2019, 12:49 AM »
I'm winterizing my bike for the cold New England winter, I've heard multiple points of view on whether or not I should be fogging the engine, but nothing specific to the Versys.  Given the less than convenient placement of the Versys spark plugs, does anybody go to the effort of fogging the engine of modern bikes?  Particularly the Versys?
"Good judgment comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgment." - The Mechanic

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: To fog or not to fog?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2019, 01:05 AM »

I'm in Nova Scotia, to the n.e. of you, and haven't fogged a bike engine for years mostly because my bikes usually get out once or twice a month throughout the winter. My wife's CBF, on the other hand, doesn't get out from November to late April, is not fogged, and starts and runs immediately whenever called upon.
 I do give all the bikes an oil change and filter change about this time of year.

I give mower engines a squirt of engine oil through the plug hole and roll them over a few times when I lay them up.

As you can see, it's a balance between convenience and laziness on my part. No rational mechanical recommendations should be read into any of the above  :015: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:33 AM »
I would not listen to opinions but ask for the real explanation of why this would have to be done. I believe that in the 20s or 30s, possibly somewhat later too, you could disassemble an engine which sat for a year in damp climate with the exhaust valves open and you would find some rust. If it sat for more, you would perhaps find a rare case of a ceased cylinder. This is all history now, nothing happens to today's metals covered with today's engine oil when they sit a few months. If you are paranoid about it, you could pull some duct tape over the exhaust opening to stop some moisture going in, but then again, it gets the same moisture every night it is parked around the year, nothing so special in the winter when it's parked for a few months.

In addition to the 20s and 30s baggage, a lot of these stories come from mixing up long-term storage/conservation and winter parking. If you are putting it away for years or decades, go ahead do some conservation procedures. But the 60 to 90 days you park it for a winter is not a long term storage, oils and materials do not break up and transform during this period. Just follow the periodic maintenance and the basic things you need to do, like take the battery to the house and charge it every 3 weeks or so. And use fuel stabilizer, especially if you have ethanol fuel. Make sure that all this talk about waxing and polishing and oiling and putting condoms over the handlebar grips will not distract you from the few essential things that you really need to do instead.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2019, 09:36 AM by jkristjan »

Offline JimmyDean

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Ride safe!
"Good judgment comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgment." - The Mechanic

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:10 AM »
What the heck is fogging an engine?

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2019, 12:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
What the heck is fogging an engine?
an article on it HERE but comes with caviats

The don'ts of fogging !!

Fogging isn't recommended for all engines, so let's get some warnings and caveats out of the way first.
It shouldn't be used on a diesel, as the oil can ignite and cause a runaway condition. It's also not recommended for direct-injection motors, which includes basically anything sold new today.
Some products are safe for catalytic converters and other emissions equipment, while others aren't; read the label and look for one that explicitly states it to be sure.
If the engine is equipped with a mass-airflow sensor, be sure the oil is added downstream of it.
Any petrolengine with a carburetor—be it in a car, motorcycle, or lawn tractor—is cleared for fogging.

But the V1k has Fuel Injection   :211:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Thanks Richard.

Sounds like it's gone (or should) the way of the dodo.