Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Flakey paint.on engine  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Dom81

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2016
  • City / Town: Vale
Flakey paint.on engine
« on: Dec 01, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Am getting flakey paint on my engine that I would like to get back to new looking.

Bike had been standing for 18 months prior to purchase.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Online mac one

• Versys Master
Re: Flakey paint.on engine
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:06 PM »
How old is the bike ?

Offline Dom81

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:25 PM »

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:21 PM »
A couple of pictures would help, so we can assess how bad it is and give recomendations on how to solve  :7:
Richard    :001: 

Online mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Back in 2006 i bought a Triumph scrambler and after six months the lacquer was coming off the engine, that was down to bad prep work from the paint department, i think the engine cases were outsourced from Brazil , it might be Mr Kawasaki is outsourcing parts and the quality is not up to scratch.

Offline Dom81

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Here is an example but can take.more pictures.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
Back in 2006 i bought a Triumph scrambler and after six months the lacquer was coming off the engine, that was down to bad prep work from the paint department, i think the engine cases were outsourced from Brazil , it might be Mr Kawasaki is outsourcing parts and the quality is not up to scratch.

Or it might be it sat out in the weather for 18 months, or it might be brake fluid was spilled on it, or it might be anything. Why do some people automatically blame the manufacturer when the usual reason is abuse or neglect of some kind?

Offline Dom81

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Its definitely neglect been sat in salt.air for 18 months before I purchased it but more interested in the best way to fix it so it blends.back in.

Thanks

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Look at the surfaces of non-painted bolts and caps, they are hot zinc or something but just look how they have been stained, it looks that some chemical action has been going on. Anyway, this does not mean that a good paint job should have came off like this. Double-anyway, I don't think things like that need to be fixed on an out-of-warranty Versys 650. This is not your BMW R Nine T or Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer, it is not meant to be all shiny show off piece. Just clean it with WD-40, let it have and develop its natural patina over time and enjoy keeping it technically in good working order. Any dollar you would spend on fixing paint and scratches is better spent on tires, chains, cables, etc. Anyone looking at the bike from more than a foot distance does not see any of that petty sh#t, all they see is if you are enjoying your bike and riding it around or sitting home touching up some annoying paint.

Offline Dom81

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:21 AM »
True but I have stripped the bike down and am.going to attempt.some.kind of cover up cos it will annoy me forever.