Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Versys KLE650 2009 oil gauge  (Read 6029 times)

Offline darkfibre

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2009 KLE Versys
  • City / Town: Loughton Essex
Versys KLE650 2009 oil gauge
« on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Hi

The motorbike has been sitting idle on and off for about six weeks ( minor accident took me out of action ). However I have been starting her up each week just to get the motor running and warmed up.

The oil gauge looks completely solid and I know that is not normal.  The bike did go down on its left side in a minor accident.  I was sure when I looked at this about 2 weeks ago the reading looked normal as you would expect in colour.  Temperature is 7 degrees celcius where I am. 

I was planning to do an oil filter and oil change.  The bike has done 7700 miles only but is due for the 7500 service.  That may have something to do with it?

Is this normal to be completely solid showing in the oil gauge (probably not!)??? If NOT, then what is the cause of this and what should I be doing to fix it?

Thanks as always.

d-_-b

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Versys KLE650 2009 oil gauge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 02:52 AM »

Is that when it is on it's side stand?

The apparent oil  level varies significantly when the bike is leaned hard over one way or the other from vertical. Try leaning it both ways and holding for several seconds before checking the level again when vertical.

The cool temperature will make the oil slower to respond.

If it stays at that level regardless of lean then it has either been over filled or some other liquid has got into the
oil stream.

Warm up the engine, change the oil and filter with two litres of fresh oil then start the engine, let it idle for several minutes, turn it off, let it sit for several more minutes then check the oil level with the bike upright. It will probably be a bit low. Add oil to the upper marks. I generally get close to 2 1/2 litres in after a thorough drain and fill.

Let us know,

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:31 AM »
I would be inclined to drain that "oil", even before I start the bike. You really have no idea as to what is in there.

It does look like there is simply too much oil in there, but lots of caution will not go amiss.  :028:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
I would be inclined to drain that "oil", even before I start the bike. You really have no idea as to what is in there.

It does look like there is simply too much oil in there, but lots of caution will not go amiss.  :028:

Completely agree, I would not start the engine until I had determined the oil was OK and not overfilled. Cheaper to replace the oil / filter than the engine.