Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hi folks! '15 650 Versys owner from U.S,  (Read 4179 times)

Offline dmerc

• Versys Newbie
  • Happily Retired!
  • Bike: 15 650 Versys LT
  • City / Town: Antwerp,Ohio USA
Hi folks! '15 650 Versys owner from U.S,
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 02:47 AM »
   I registered mainly so I could see all the pages and pictures. I'm from NW Ohio, in the U.S.  My daughter is actually married to a Brit from London area, altho' he became an American citizen last year. I got my green '15 650V a month or so ago, after selling my '06 Vstrom. I also have an '07 1250 Bandit. I don't like riding in cold weather, so my riding is mostly done for this year, so am hoping for an early spring!  I only got a short ride on the Versys, maybe 10 or 15 miles, and have had over 40 different bikes in 50 years of riding (yes, I'm old!) lol  So, while I'm  experienced, I'm new to the Versys, so really looking to gain any and all info I can about this little green beast!!!  I've loved Kawasaki since my very first, a 1973 Z-1 900 Kaw. As I age and slow down, I HAD to get a Kawasaki back into my barn, and it HAD to be GREEN!!  It appears I'm the first "Buckeye" (Ohio) in your midst, I hope no one will object? During the long winter lay up, I find talking about bikes is the next best thing to actually riding one.   So, that's enough about me, I hope to read up on what's happening on the other side of the pond.  :001:   
'15 650 Versys LT
'07 1250 Bandit

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Hi folks! '15 650 Versys owner from U.S,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:21 AM »

Welcome from Nova Scotia, dmerc.

Many of us here are ageing. We ride the Versys to ensure we  don't slow down  :007: .

A new older Versys is a far more effective rejuvinator than a new younger woman .... so I have been told. Cheaper to run too, no doubt.  :2: :2:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:24 AM »
 :185:  to the forum dmerc.

I'm sure that you will find the " little " Versys  more than up for any task that you ask of it, they are a cracking bike.

Bomb proof reliable, comfy, plenty quick enough for old blokes and just such a lovely thing to be aboard.

Any questions regarding any aspect of the bike should be able to be answered by forum members, so fire away if there is anything that you are not sure of.

Meanwhile, enjoy your new bike.

Cheers  :031:  Geoff   :002:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline dmerc

• Versys Newbie
  • Happily Retired!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:50 PM »
thanks guys, I appreciate the kind welcomes! I'm also a member on the Versys site in the U.S. but had been lurking on this forum as well. Being retired, winter is a tough time for me. I tend to do a LOT of reading and research. So, it's like therapy for the winter blahs!!
'15 650 Versys LT
'07 1250 Bandit

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 650 V-Strom
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Welcome.

Enjoy the bike. It would be good to hear how you find the Versys compared to your old V-Strom 👍

Offline dmerc

• Versys Newbie
  • Happily Retired!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by UK_Vstrom650 [+]
Welcome.

Enjoy the bike. It would be good to hear how you find the Versys compared to your old V-Strom 👍

I switched to a Versys mainly because the redesigned VStroms have the skinny headlight, and beak, which I personally find fugly.  The 15 and newer Versys looks more like the older Vstroms.  I hope to get a few warm snaps to ride the Kawi, but for the most part, I won't be able to ride enough to compare the 2 bikes until spring, at least 4 months from now. This is the first time I bought a bike this late in the season, The quick 10+ miles that I did get to ride, were thrilling to find how comfy the ergonomics are. The bars are perfect (it has bar risers) with NO lean, which felt great. Decent legroom, just like the Weestrom, so, as of now, I think I made a wise decision.  It has 9k miles, and looks like the chain was rarely cleaned/adjusted, so hoping I don't have to pop for a chain and sprockets right away, especially since it will need tires fairly soon too.

'15 650 Versys LT
'07 1250 Bandit

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 650 V-Strom
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Looking good. I do agree the single headlight and beak are pretty ugly on the newer Stroms - I'll also be moving away from the Strom when my 2012 version moves on (at 51,000 miles now and not in a rush to replace). My brother has a 2015 Versys, and that's the main reason I won't buy one - can't be seen to be copying him 🤣
Will keep my fingers crossed for the chain and sprockets.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 08:20 PM by UK_Vstrom650 »

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum, dmerc!  Nice looking bike.  I would think it will require some excercise come summer...

2020 International Versys Meet, North American Edition

The date is not set in stone (despite what Richard posted  :015:), but likely around that week.  Start planning, no excuses for them retired folks...   :211:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online penry

• Versys Member
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:36 AM »
 :185:
My 1st ever Kawasaki in 42 years riding and 20+ bikes. Quite charmed by the little fellah, seems reliable, comfy, handles nice, quick enough for the real world and frugal on the gas. I'm commuting through another British Winter and I wonder if the XCP 365 I sprayed on it and frequent post ride rinses will protect its looks come April next year.
I haven't seen it in daylight for about a month :(
No solution is insurmountable...