Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Kawasaki Service Schedule Change  (Read 309 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Kawasaki Service Schedule Change
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Hi All,

Was anyone aware that Kawasaki have changed their service schedule recently??

I turned up at my local dealership on Friday and begged them to fit me in for the 3.8k service after I realized that I had accidentally gone over.

They booked me in on the phone and also agreed to do a winter wash and ACF treatment for me. (Too cold for me and I can't apply it as good as they can  :43::028:

Just over an hour later (just in time to stop me spending money I don't have on a new Kawasaki hoodie  :138:) The service manager came to tell me that she was ready but had to go through things with me.

He apologized for not booking me in personally and that the young man who did, wasn't aware of the new changes. He then went on to explain and show me that Kawasaki had recently decided to scrap their 'intermediate services' therefore the 7.5k service is the first service now and I didn't need to come in.

I didn't mind as I was just glad to get someone else to give her the once over (I had deliberately left my chain because I knew I needed to take her in soon).

The interim service was previously charged at 1/2hr labour at a cost of 92 p/h and the ACF treatment was on special last winter at 40 but it was now 60!  :5: Therefore I was looking at just over 100 charge.

However the manager gave me the whole thing free!!  :152: :2:

Couldn't believe it!! But they know I'll be back before too long and he said that it was partly their fault for not explaining the new schedule. They had squeezed me in at the end of the day and therefore already 'made their money for the day' so the books won't be off.

Who said there's no benefit of loyal customer service anymore!!

Anyway, anyone else already aware of the change?
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
Re: Kawasaki Service Schedule Change
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:55 PM »

Here's a copy of the new service sheet with the interim services blanked out now.

He checked online on the Kawasaki mechanics Portal to make sure the changes applied to my model and they did.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days <iframe width="154" height="205" src="https://w2.countingdownto.com/2611567" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I wonder if that's just for 2019 onward models, or if it applies to older ones?

It won't make any difference to me (yet) as the next service that will be due on mine will be 15,000 miles, but 3800 miles always seemed a bit short - a couple of nice little tours and it's back for another service. Mind you, I think I'd still be tempted to have some fresh oil and a filter, in the grand scheme of things it's not much to keep the engine happy.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:23 PM »

" Mind you, I think I'd still be tempted to have some fresh oil and a filter, in the grand scheme of things it's not much to keep the engine happy."

+1

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:17 PM »
The MK3 owner's manual that came with the 2018 bike has services listed every 6000 km (this should be around 3500 of your brexit miles), but all these things are marked as "check by the owner", there is only one thing that the dealer should just check every 6000 km - the evaporation system on California models. Oil change is listed every 12000km. Anyway, there's a catch. The dealer insists that the oil should be changed every 6000 km and when I point out that the manual I was handed to me states differently, they make this retarded face as if I spoke a foreign language for a moment and carry on insisting, never giving a sensible answer to why the documentation differs from their claim and how would they comment such a situation.

Anyway, the first time I did my 6000 km service was just before another 6000 km trip, so I would have wanted an extra service anyway and decided to not argue. Now I'm going to do the 12000 km service but then the next is 24000, I am not taking it in for 18000. If something should happen and they want to reject a warranty claim, I think I will win that one in court as I have not broken the manufacturer's maintenance protocol.

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:58 PM »
The one thing in the 11,500 mile service (I don't mind km, but can't deal with metric fuel consumption!) is checking the air filter, my dealer (CBS Whitton, really great service from them) recommended changing it the 7500 mile service as otherwise it meant removing the fuel tank just to check the air filter.

Looking at the service schedule last night, one thing that set me wondering was the schedule for checking valve clearances - why is it different between US & European models? Does it affect emissions (I can't image how it would)?

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2019, 03:09 PM »
My dealer gave the impression that it's pretty much across the board and new 2020 models will be sold with the new service schedule in the manual. Mine was sold with the interim services printed in the book.

They also offered me an oil and filter change but I declined why spend the money, if Kawasaki don't think it's needed? Their engineers spent a lot of time developing the engine and then testing it and I think that if there now confident enough to remove the visual check services all together, they must have something right! I'd be quite insulted if someone thought they knew better than me after all that effort to produce a great engine and extend the service intervals as much as possible to save the consumer cash!
Anyway, with the milage I do I recon the 7.5k miles (the proper way to measure, lol) will be due in a couple of months anyway.
I was more pleased to get the all important ACF50 treatment done