Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ignition barrel sticking  (Read 3988 times)

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Ignition barrel sticking
« on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:40 AM »
Noticed it was getting a bit finicky to turn but suddenly it has jammed and can take 10 minutes of jiggling to free up so I can start the bike. :023:

Bikes a 2017 650 se only 5,000 miles.

I've lubed it with graphite ( not oil or grease ) but still jams up. I daren't put the steering lock on.

Any ideas ? :027:
Thanks.
No solution is insurmountable...

Offline Liamf

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Worthing
Re: Ignition barrel sticking
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:33 AM »
I had exactly this about a month ago and had also previously used graphite power which i am convinced gummed it up (probably used too much).  I flushed mine with excessive amounts of WD40 3 or 4 times and it has been as good as new ever since.

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Liamf [+]
I had exactly this about a month ago and had also previously used graphite power which i am convinced gummed it up (probably used too much).  I flushed mine with excessive amounts of WD40 3 or 4 times and it has been as good as new ever since.

Thanks Liamf,

Rather a lot came out of the nozzle when I applied mine though most of it ended up in a pile on top of the barrel.
Seems ok this morning although I daren't take the key out of the ignition in case it #ucks up again. That could be a problem as I park in the street at work  :003:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2019, 01:19 PM »
If its the steering lock sticking then you need to get that part oiled, not sure exactly but its normally a little stub the kicks out against the frame
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
If its the steering lock sticking then you need to get that part oiled, not sure exactly but its normally a little stub the kicks out against the frame

Clunkyboy, it's deffo the ignition. Easy to set the steering lock or turn the key to release it but getting the key to turn further clockwise is like hitting a brick wall. That said, today I didn't set the steering lock and had no problem
getting the ignition on. I think the throbby engine is starting to spread the graphite around in there.

:152:

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:58 AM »
If you ride in all weathers (obviously you do) it's a good idea to regularly squirt some WD40 down the barrel and all the locks. Otherwise they start to stick.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 Grand Tourer
  • City / Town: Newton Abbot
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Had same on previous 2 year old Versys 650 and then indicators failed although hazards still worked as did lights using this function. As it was within 2 years of manufacture had ignition and all locks on seat panniers and fuel tank replaced at same time.
Fingers crossed you get it sorted especially if outside warranty period

Offline Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: R nine t racer
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:18 PM »
I went the opposite way with this problem and started using hypoid oil instead of wd40 or graphite. I found much better results.
Also push key left or right when operating it.
Try spare key,  on one of my bikes two identical keys gave different results one being much easier to use.
I'm going out on my bike.

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]
I went the opposite way with this problem and started using hypoid oil instead of wd40 or graphite. I found much better results.
Try spare key,  on one of my bikes two identical keys gave different results one being much easier to use.

Update.

Its been a month of almost daily use ( I commute ) and the graphite has worked like a charm. Not a hint of stickiness or notchiness.

Graphite works for me.

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Member
  • Living the dream so the wife says!!
  • Bike: Versys 650 KLE
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]
I was having the same trouble a couple weeks ago tried WD40 but didnít make much difference so used spare key and now working fine .
🦊🦊🦊