Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Starter Button or Starter ?  (Read 415 times)

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650cc
  • City / Town: Belfast
Starter Button or Starter ?
« on: Dec 24, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Hello Everyone im having a Problem with my mk 2 Versys Its Either the Starter Button or the Starter . New Battery Fitted a Couple of Weeks ago as i Thought that was the Problem "The Battery was at Least 6 Years old" . When i Hit the Starter Button i Get a Click If i Hit the Starter Button Quickly 2 or 3 Times in a Row it fires up ? 

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Starter Button or Starter ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2019, 03:12 PM »
If the voltage on the new battery is okay I would suggest you check all the connections on the battery and all the way to the starter motor relays and motor itself.

Loose and/or corroded connectors are often responsible for this type of problem

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:40 PM »

Check both ends of the battery cables, starter and main ground.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:50 PM »
Digital meter, connect at the starter solenoid, the solenoid has failed for several people, however the solenoid is powered by the start relay which is controlled by the key switch / start button. best to find out if it is control problems or a bad power contact. The quick test at the start solenoid proves all control circuits if you have power to the start solenoid but no output to the starter.  Notice I highlighted both, many do not understand we have both in the Versys .
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 11:52 PM by InverterMan »

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:59 PM »
 :020:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:24 PM »
As others have said, this calls for a systematic testing of all the links in the chain, luckily it is pretty doable with just a simple multimeter. Relays, switches and solenoids die, motor brushes wear out, it is not a rocket science but needs an hour or half electrician's time. Good for you if it is reproducible, intermittent flaws tend to disappear when the bike is in shop and reappear the minute you ride away.

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650cc
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Hello again Everyone Last Saturday i Checked all the Connections i could see and Find , All were in place and tight. I took the bike out for a Run and she started first push of the Starter Button as Normal stopped and started about 4 Times over a Run of Just over 100 Miles and she started with the first Push of the Starter Button all was Good. Yesterday i Wanted to take advantage of the Mild Weather and got the Bike out of the Shed and when i went to Start it Nothing not even a click , The dash lights were on horn worked indicators Flashed But no Start. I took the Starter switch gear apart and Blasted it with Contact Cleaner Both the Starter Switch contacts AND the Kill Switch Contacts  , Went Back into the House and Made a Coffee and Had a Smoke and then Put the Switch gear Back together and Refitted to the Bike Turned on the ignition and Pushed the Starter Button and she started Straight away.So i went for another Run about 150 Miles this time and Stopped 6 Times for a Break a Coffee a Smoke and again the bike started with the first Push of the starter button So fingers crossed that is the bike cured Thanks for the pointers on what to check . Cheers Francis

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Well done that man. I'm pleased that you got it sorted.       But hey you need to cut down on the fags.    :008: :008:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?